SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-07, 11:52 AM   #1
svrob

Default Main dealer servicing & warranty

I'm in a dilema as to whether to keep my 2005 bike in the dealer network for servicing or go to a local non-authorised shop. The reason for the change is the bike shop has a superb reputation for being bike wizards and the local Suzuki dealers are poor and expensive. I don't want to do it myself other than oil/filter changes.

So the questions are how does this effect warranty (has anyone any experience), will it effect the residual of the bike when I come to sell or px it?

Thanks
Old 14-07-07, 01:02 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Main dealer servicing & warranty

i was always told that as long as the local non suzuki shop used suzuki OE parts the warranty should be ok, ring suzuki GB and ask them to make sure.
Old 14-07-07, 07:28 PM   #3
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
i was always told that as long as the local non suzuki shop used suzuki OE parts the warranty should be ok, ring suzuki GB and ask them to make sure.
Correct.

As long as OE parts are used, and it's serviced to the book, then it's in no danger of losing it's warranty legally.

Your Suzuki dealer may try to wriggle out of it, but if it's done to the book, then it's not a problem.
Old 14-07-07, 09:46 PM   #4
sv650nutter149

well my sv went bang other week all suzuki serviced in steve jordans and george whites in slough guess what i have to get new engine!!!!!! warrentys are there just for piece of mind!!!!! and thats a quote from some 1 at steve jordans!!!!! suzuki always get out of it.

ps warrenty ends oct...... could this be a trading standards thing???? i think it is
Old 14-07-07, 09:52 PM   #5
svrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650nutter149 View Post
well my sv went bang other week all suzuki serviced in steve jordans and george whites in slough guess what i have to get new engine!!!!!! warrentys are there just for piece of mind!!!!! and thats a quote from some 1 at steve jordans!!!!! suzuki always get out of it.

ps warrenty ends oct...... could this be a trading standards thing???? i think it is
What excuse are they giving for not honouring your warranty, seems like unless it's misuse they must honour the warranty. Only things I can think of would be if you failed to observe the requirements for general housekeeping (water, oil level checks) in which cae thye probably can wriggle out of the warranty.

Pls tell us more
Old 16-07-07, 09:33 AM   #6
Baph

Further point to this.

I got a letter through the door the other day, from The AA.

Now, by my understanding, my bike was covered by warranty for 2 years, and this warranty included breakdown recovery.

Now The AA are wanting me to spend money on the 2nd year's recovery cover.

Can anyone confirm/deny if the 2nd years breakdown recovery is included??
Old 16-07-07, 09:51 AM   #7
Gnome

According to their website, it's only a 12 month breakdown cover:

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/extra/detail.php?id=000018
Old 16-07-07, 11:41 AM   #8
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650nutter149 View Post

As you havent enquired yet to see if Suzuki will look at it under warranty i can always raise the question to them. You cant got to trading standards before asking if it will be done under warranty

They will come down and have a look. Only problem is that they may notice that the oil level is well below the minimum mark. Can find out though if you want!.
Old 16-07-07, 01:47 PM   #9
carty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Can anyone confirm/deny if the 2nd years breakdown recovery is included??
It's only 1 year's breakdown cover.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 16-07-07, 02:00 PM   #10
Baph

Thanks Gnome & catwrim.

I guess I'll have to rely on the other 3 breakdown cover policies I have for the bike then.