SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-05, 11:57 AM   #1
Wiltshire7

Default insurance question

After my accident i told my insurance company my leathers were trashed. how likely r they to inspect them? they have told me to keep hold of the leathers and anything else incase the 3rd party's insurance wanna check em out.

how often do they do this? has anyone else had theirs checked up?
how damaged do they have to be? mine arnt trashed at all, but they r damaged, that should be covered shouldnt it?

also, i cant prove how much i paid for em, so i told em a high 'guestimate'. will they take my word for it?
Old 22-04-05, 12:13 PM   #2
Ed

Remember, you're asking them to pay for damage, so they might want to see them, it depends on whether they think you're taking the michael. I couldn't claim on a third party's policy (as it was my fault ) but I discovered to my cost that my leathers weren't included in my bike policy. So I've now extended the house contents cover to include items away from the house.

As re damaged but not trashed - well, would you want to wear them again - I mean, damaged leathers aren't safe, are they? You're entitled to be put back in the position you were in before, so I don't see why you shouldn't claim for new ones. They might want to deduct an amount for wear and tear though.

Guesstimate - they're entitled to proof of loss - ie of the amount claimed. If you can't then I guess the insurer will horsetrade as long as it's reasonable.
Old 22-04-05, 12:17 PM   #3
creamerybutter

I my case the third parties insures just asked how old they were and what they cost new and based the pay out on that but it probably depends on the insurers.
Old 22-04-05, 12:27 PM   #4
Wiltshire7

hm, ok. thanks for the info.

if anyone else has had experience in this then please let me know.

idealy id wanna gett he money for new ones and then keep my old ones. but if i have to i guess i could say the nurses had to cut em off me. they did want to, but i told em not to unless they had no choice.
Old 22-04-05, 12:40 PM   #5
creamerybutter

They won't keep yours if they do pay out, if yours are damaged at all you should be able to cliam something.
Old 22-04-05, 12:56 PM   #6
thebulletproofpoet

Default leathers and RTA

I had a similar situation following a no-fault spill.

The medics wanted to cut the leathers off me and I managed to convince them to cut the seams. I claimed for the leathers citing make, range etc and got a cash payout for the leathers and for a new lid.

I threw out old lid (does anyone know if these can be recycled as I am abit of a hippy and hate to think of a landfill full of lids) but got the leathers restictched. Spare cash (for replacement leathers) went on a holiday
Old 22-04-05, 02:24 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If they are damaged you can claim,they dont have to be "trashed".Same thing with gloves,boots and your helmet doesnt need any visible damage.If you knock a lid you are supposed to replace it.In my experience they dont check the items,but you should keep them.they haggle over prices months later and if you then tell them "I still have the items"thats usually enough for them to pay up.
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-05, 02:50 PM   #8
Wiltshire7

usual deal with insurance people then. they dont wanna pay the proper amount out and force u to be forceful with them.

i can do that, but i just wish they would pay the proper amount to start with.

god i hate insurance.
Old 22-04-05, 03:04 PM   #9
OnFire

Some photos and receipts should do it. They will look at how much they cost new, and make deductions for how old they are and general condition.

Not often they will ask you to send them in unless the claims handler fancys some free leathers cos after all what is an insurance company going to do with them afterwards. Its more of a hassle to them to send them in.
Old 22-04-05, 03:57 PM   #10
Wiltshire7

well i over estimated on the values as i guessed they would knock them down. maybe ill be lucky, but i doubt it.

i dont have any receipts unfortunatly, i might try and get a quote from a shop though if they want a receipt.