SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-12-06, 10:35 AM   #1
Ceri JC

Default Review of the new Triumph Tiger

I should have posted this up sooner, but here goes:

After waiting the best part of 2 months for parts from Suzuki (and having my bike off the road for that time) I have decided I really must get round to getting a second bike. Not having a bike, I noticed I was a lot more uptight and had a far shorter temper than normal (didn't realize quite what a release the bike is). Can't go through that again!

I've basically come to the conclusion I should either buy a working bike and keep my SV as a toy, or make the SV a working bike (more likely as it's already going that way) and buy a toy for weekends and use as a spare. The new tiger seemed like a third option; something that would be fun at weekends, but also a bit more comfy than the SV for long distance. Effectively, replacing the SV and making it a spare.

A few weeks back I had a test ride on a Tiger. Unfortunately, it was only 40 minutes and was accompanied (so my ability to really push it was limited). I do feel, however, I got a basic feel for it. Here are my main observations:

Very comfy. Only a short ride, but the seat was very nice as was the bar's position. The dip in the seat means you're very much in the bike rather than on it. I didn't test it, but the pillion perch looks quite high compared to the rider, so expect a face full of windrush, but a decent view of the road.

Good view (due to the height).

Nice taught handling- I was expecting it to be like a dirt bike with massive suspension travel, but the whole package was very firm. The front in particular is stiff under braking. Very fast turn in for such a tall bike too. The suspension was plush enough that potholed country roads were comfortable, and the ride was sporty, but I didn't really get as much feedback as I'd of liked. Although, to be fair, I suspect this was because I wasn't pushing it near its limits.

Nice grunty motor. A bit down on power for what I was expecting though. Still, good for the road and good acceleration out of bends. I know it's a detuned version of the Speed Triple's motor, but it wasn't overwhelming at all. If you'd like a bigger bike than the SV, but are worried about controlling it, this may be the bike for you. Even on wet roads I was cracking the throttle open and it was nice and predictable. No unintentional power wheelies, but if you want to do them it's not hard. As I say, accompanied ride, so just a couple of 6 inch off the floor ones for the purposes of testing.

Very smooth and responsive FI. No on/off at all.

Nicely balanced; the weight disappears as soon as you're moving and even wheeling the thing round on foot is easy.

Wind blast protection was okay. I'm 6'1" and tend to sit quite upright. I found that the screens protection in the middle was better than it looks like it would be, but some was coming around the sides.

Overally, I agree with the magazines on the reviews of it. It's no longer a big traillie, it's more a sporty all-rounder with big trail bike styling.

I know it's a cliche, but a well ridden one really could surprise a few weekend warriors on SS600s in the twisties.

Would I buy one- I don't know. I really don't care too much for the looks of it (front end- the back end is lovely) and for that sort of money, I'd have to love the thing. I decided to try it as if the bike was good enough, I'd consider getting it regardless of looks. It was good fun and seemed a competent all rounder, but it just seemed to lack enough soul. I did like the engine/chassis though, so I think I may have to have a go on a new speed triple instead.

Post any questions you may have about it here and I'll try to answer them.
Old 14-12-06, 12:32 PM   #2
ivantate

I was having the same thought processes and also cant part with the money.

I guess a SV1000S with flat bars is the best compromise per ££.
Old 14-12-06, 12:42 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

sorry it's not really about the review - but you wouldn't be expected to run & maintain a courtesy car. Why should we have to just cos we're bikers?
makes my blood boil, 2 weeks for parts

Must add that my recent experience of Steve Jordan's was next day delivery and accomodating service - so no complaints there
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-06, 01:01 PM   #4
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
sorry it's not really about the review - but you wouldn't be expected to run & maintain a courtesy car. Why should we have to just cos we're bikers?

Must add that my recent experience of Steve Jordan's was next day delivery and accomodating service - so no complaints there
Am I missing something here Stu or have you replied to the wrong thread ?

I can't find any ref to a courtesy car (or bike) in the original post !!
Old 14-12-06, 04:00 PM   #5
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

Am I missing something here Stu or have you replied to the wrong thread ?

I can't find any ref to a courtesy car (or bike) in the original post !!
I think he's saying it's a sorry state of affiars that I should have to get a second bike just because of very long delays with parts for something as common as an SV. You wouldn't buy a second car because a garage took so long to get parts in for your Fiesta. Oh and it was almost 2 months, not weeks: Initially took 3 weeks to get some new caliper securing bolts in. 1 week to get it to the garage to have a look at once I actually had the bolts and was able to work out the bolts weren't the problem, then three and a half weeks for the new caliper to arrive. Yet another "may as well of bought a Ducati" experience courtesy of our friends at Suzuki.

Just to emphasise- the delay was with Suzuki, and not with the local dealer, Bevans, who were very good.
Old 14-12-06, 04:03 PM   #6
valleyboy

Suzuki are crap when it comes to parts.... when I had the SV and had minor altercations with the tarmac.. it took 4 weeks for the parts to arrive.... stark contrast to Kawasaki, where if the parts are in stock and I am willing to pay carriage.. I can have them next day if I order early enough...
Old 14-12-06, 04:11 PM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy
Suzuki are crap when it comes to parts.... when I had the SV and had minor altercations with the tarmac.. it took 4 weeks for the parts to arrive.... stark contrast to Kawasaki, where if the parts are in stock and I am willing to pay carriage.. I can have them next day if I order early enough...
Are Kawasaki any good when it comes to warranty/after sales service matters?
Old 14-12-06, 05:22 PM   #8
Razor

Firstly, I don't like the new Tiger. I think it's trying to hard to tick all the boxes and leaves some of them only half marked. Is it a tourer? Is it an adventure bike? If you want a tourer the Sprint is probably a better option. If an adventure bike BMW/KTM have the legs on this design by commitee exercise.

Secondly, I've never had an issue getting Suzuki spares. I think it depends on how good your parts dealer is. Slingers in Preston are spot on.
Old 14-12-06, 05:47 PM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Review of the new Triumph Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
After waiting the best part of 2 months for parts from Suzuki (and having my bike off the road for that time) I have decided I really must get round to getting a second bike.
That was the thread I was replying to

I guess it's still a major amazement for me why people run more than one bike. Whereas you were more interested in the review.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote