SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-09, 11:09 PM   #1
philbut

Default Front sprocket removal help required

Right, firstly this isn't on an SV, hence the post in here. its a '97 ZX7R.

Now I've done a few sproket changes in my time and NEVER have I encountered one this tight. I have a 2 foot breaker bar on it with a hefty chunk of wood through the back wheel / swing arm to prevent the sproket turning. Already snapped one piece of 2" x 2" timber!

I've left it covered in WD40 for the night (as my back is now killing me). It won't budge at all. Should I try a longer breaker bar or would an impact driver be better? I am just worried about damaging the nut if I put too much force on it. Am i missing something, like do these nuts undo in the oposite direction to normal???

Come to my rescue the org.
Old 02-03-09, 11:49 PM   #2
Warthog

Default Re: Front sproket removal help required

You haven't got me and my gut sitting on it to hold it down
Old 02-03-09, 11:57 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Assuming that you're doing it right, that is; turning the right way and have removed whatever locking device is fitted, then I'd stop struggling with it and take it to someone with the right equipment, by which I mean a compressor and and a rattle gun to buzz it off with.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:36 AM   #4
Balky001
Mega Poster

I got the front sprocket off once, only to find when I thought I'd put it back on it was not tight enough etc. I'd always take it to someone with a compressor as Sid mentions, you can never get it tight enough (oh er)
Old 03-03-09, 12:28 PM   #5
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
I got the front sprocket off once, only to find when I thought I'd put it back on it was not tight enough etc. I'd always take it to someone with a compressor as Sid mentions, you can never get it tight enough (oh er)
I have a 200Nm torque wrench so not a problem (front sproket needs to be about 125Nm). It's easy enough with someone sat on the bike applying the rear brake, or by wedging the wheel with a wooden block.

Looks like I might have to ask around at work to see if anyone has access to a rattle gun. i was hoping it wouldn't come to that.
Old 03-03-09, 12:37 PM   #6
daveb

You could try PlusGas spray instead of WD as this really helps to un-seize stuff - maybe try tightening it a bit to crack it then it might undo...?

D
Old 03-03-09, 01:28 PM   #7
vardypeeps

Best bet is an impact driver with the right size socket. I have a portable one but your a bit too far away mate sorry