SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-09, 01:23 PM   #1
coz83

Default I want bigger rear sprocket.

alright guys, think this is in the right place, but knowing me probable aint!

im after a +10 or +20 rear sprocket for me 1999 sv650, wondering if anyone knew where i could get one?or can someone on here make me one??

just learning slow clutch up wheelies but wanna clutch em up off idle, but obviously need a bigger sprocket!

looked everywhere my little barely functioning brain can think of with no luck!

any help always appreciated!

oh and none of the usual 'you shouldnt wheelie an sv nonsense flaming contest malarky' please
Old 05-06-09, 01:29 PM   #2
Holdup

Default Re: i want bigger rear sprocket

Try some where like B&C express, take it youve got a naked?
Old 05-06-09, 01:35 PM   #3
coz83

Default Re: i want bigger rear sprocket

yeah man its a nekid! ill give em a call now although i swear i tried em already
Old 05-06-09, 04:38 PM   #4
scottjames

Default Re: I want bigger rear sprocket.

ive got a 2001 svs and can clutch it up from near stand still on std sprockets? ? ?
Old 05-06-09, 04:40 PM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Over 40 years ago I had a special sprocket made for my scooter ( not for wheelies, but for trials ) by Supersprox who are still in business although they don't list such sizes for SVs. They may well do 'specials' but now they are a big outfit, expect the price to be the same.
Old 05-06-09, 05:03 PM   #6
coz83

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjames View Post
ive got a 2001 svs and can clutch it up from near stand still on std sprockets? ? ?
so can i man, but i want the bigger one so i can clutch it up on the idle for stand up circle wheelies. so u basically catch it at the bp usingthe back break, with tiny blips of throttle to keep it up so u can circle at about 5mph!
Old 05-06-09, 05:05 PM   #7
coz83

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
Over 40 years ago I had a special sprocket made for my scooter ( not for wheelies, but for trials ) by Supersprox who are still in business although they don't list such sizes for SVs. They may well do 'specials' but now they are a big outfit, expect the price to be the same.
gave them a try dude, but no luck for anything that big b&c can make me a plus ten rear with front sprocket and chain for 170ish delivered.
Old 06-06-09, 09:49 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Wheelies on a V-Twin for sustained periods...

....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that risking alot of damage to the front cylinder / valvetrain, as the oil feed isn;t great when the front piston is pointing vertically?

(btw, not having a dig at all, just I always assumed this to be the case and why people prefer stunting on 'fightered CBR's and stuff)

Anyway, good luck with finding something, maybe if you do find something you can let the admin of the site know, he could put it on the main page in the usefull links section, you never know who might want that kinda stuff
Old 06-06-09, 10:01 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The front pot isn't fed by splash, it's pressure fed by the oil system, the cam bearings are pressurised, feeding journals, cams, lifters etc. with lubricating (and cooling) oil.
Cylinder has a jet which squirts oil at it, also a pressurised feed, plus any splash from the crank.

The problem comes when the oil in the sump drops to the back, away from the pickup. Meaning there is nothing to feed the oil system.

Personally I'd fit an oil pressure gauge and watch it like a hawk the first few times. Just to be sure.

Davido, who has actually done this stuff, reckons his was fine for very slow high wheelies, it only munched itself when he let the oil get low and did some long wheelies.

Check the adverts in streetfighters. There is a firm makes these kits.
Old 06-06-09, 11:48 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Ah, i see, thanks chris for clarifying that for me, i understand alot better now