SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 12-05-09, 04:40 PM   #161
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Always wear yer ferkin leathers. Graffic images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Textile can be usefully protective, just it tends to sacrifice itself while protecting you.

Both have their place. Textile for me because I feel not being compromised by hypothermia makes me safer than another 5mph worth of abrasion resistance...
Yup this is true my textil jackets a bit shredded but still does the job. Leathers are still in a really good state (from a much worse crash), almost completely unnoticeable damage.
I'm hoping my back protector will still do it's job.
Old 28-05-09, 06:15 PM   #162
V-twin

I can testify to the benefits of wearing proper kit. I now wouldn't leave the house without wearing a back protector or leathers.

I may look a strange shape when kitted in leathers with a back protector fitted but it saves my skin and back.

I got my leathers in a sale with 650 quid off, reduced to 250 quid and I just couldn't ignore it. Alpinestars 2-piece for 250 quid? -bargain.
Old 28-05-09, 08:28 PM   #163
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-twin View Post
I can testify to the benefits of wearing proper kit. I now wouldn't leave the house without wearing a back protector or leathers.

I may look a strange shape when kitted in leathers with a back protector fitted but it saves my skin and back.

I got my leathers in a sale with 650 quid off, reduced to 250 quid and I just couldn't ignore it. Alpinestars 2-piece for 250 quid? -bargain.
Damn right. A couple of people hve been asking me how I cope in the hot weather in my leathers. I remind them that its far better to be hot and protected, than risk being cool and perhaps have an accident...and spend lots of time having skin grafted back onto your legs and arms and other pars of your body
Old 28-05-09, 08:32 PM   #164
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Leathers come with vents; forward motion creates airflow. Problem solved. Honestly occifer.
Old 28-05-09, 10:57 PM   #165
metalmonkey

Quote:
Leathers come with vents; forward motion creates airflow. Problem solved. Honestly occifer.
haha mine are vented, yes air flow helps

Teknic are good leathers, I wouldn't mind a set, or Arlene Ness. My two piece are Hein Gerkie I actually really like them. They fit me well, they have become really soft now like a second skin. But I have made a habit of cleaning and treating my leathers. Also make sure they zip togther as well, casue thats a requirement for track days.

The only other thing is go try loads on, no point spending £5-600 on a set and they don't fit. Though I have a hard time finding anything that fits me at all, so I have try everything on, normally the whole shop.

Do a search there was a whole tread on this a while back which covers all this, what buy, likes/dislkes brands ect.
Old 30-05-09, 01:54 PM   #166
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
Also make sure they zip togther as well,
All the way around!
Old 30-05-09, 02:17 PM   #167
SUPERSTARDJ01

This has inspired me to get a set of leathers which I have now done and a forcefield back protector.

Cheers
Old 14-06-09, 08:42 AM   #168
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSTARDJ01 View Post
This has inspired me to get a set of leathers which I have now done and a forcefield back protector.

Cheers
Excellent.
Old 14-06-09, 09:16 PM   #169
TC3

Quote:
Teknic violator suit is about £400, leaves you £100 for a proper full length back protector.

Go for a forcefield or a halvarssons "track" back protector (made by forcefield IIRC, different shape) buy the one that fits better.

You don't get what you pay for with leathers, the most expensive brands are some of the worst. I wouldn't wear the new dianese stuff if you paid me to. Italian fashion tripe. Bloody wops...
HAHA... i happen to be a bloody wop and i have Dainese leather jacket and trousers i got 4 years ago that did a good job of saving my skin in an off but i was only doing about 50
Old 14-06-09, 11:58 PM   #170
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

My own experience of them was a friend of mine having a poxy little lowside at about 30mph, it wasn't a particularly violent landing since he was cranked over a lot. The stitching failed around about a third of the arm-torso joint on them!

There is something seriously wrong when a pair of multiple-crashed draggin jeans stand up to a crash better than a "race styled" leather jacket which cost (I won't say "worth") a couple of hundred quid!