SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-08, 07:26 PM   #21
mattb200

Default Re: How does the coolant system work???

didn't want to start a new thread as this continues on from previous posts...

Just undone the hose clips from the radiator and trying to remove the hoses. These things are well and truly stuck on!
Now I could get all brutal and I dare say i would have no trouble getting them off (cutting?) but they seem in good nick so want to reuse them if I can.

Any suggestions to help get these off? I was thinking maybe some very hot water poured over the join may help?

thanks

Last edited by mattb200; 15-04-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 15-04-08, 07:37 PM   #22
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: How does the cooling system work?

Give them a twist to get them free, do not pull them - they constrict when you do and get tighter.
If possible a tool with a hooked end can be used, hook it over the end of the hose and your pulling essentially becomes pushing.
Such tools are commercially available, but are very often a modified cheap 'n cheerful screwdriver with a wide blade .
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 07:40 PM   #23
mattb200

yep tried twisting them and gently prying them with a screwdriver...
I will give it another go tomorrow and see how it goes, I suppose its no real disaster if they have to be cut.
Old 15-04-08, 09:22 PM   #24
thefallenangel

perhaps letting them warm up will help?

*sorry just started reading this thread and it was the first thought that came to mind.*

If it works, set of tough gloves and goggles might be advisable to save hands and eyes.
Old 15-04-08, 10:40 PM   #25
ejohnh

Default Re: How does the coolant system work???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb200 View Post
didn't want to start a new thread as this continues on from previous posts...

Just undone the hose clips from the radiator and trying to remove the hoses. These things are well and truly stuck on!
Now I could get all brutal and I dare say i would have no trouble getting them off (cutting?) but they seem in good nick so want to reuse them if I can.

Any suggestions to help get these off? I was thinking maybe some very hot water poured over the join may help?

thanks
When I first came across this problem, I heated an electrical screwdriver blade red hot and then bent 10 mm of the tip so that it formed a right angle. I poke the bent tip behind the rubber and it always seems to break the stiction. Haven' tried it on a bike yet but can't see why it wouldn't work.