SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-10, 05:47 PM   #1
kellyjo

Default R&G Heated Grips - any good?

Im starting to think about my winter requirements, and at the top of the list is a set of heated grips.
Ive had a look on the 'bay and found these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R-G-RACING-MOT...torcycle_Parts but they seem incredibly cheap compared to the Oxford (£70).

Seeing as its usually true that you get what you pay for I was just wondering if anyones used the R&G and can comment on them.

Thanks, KJ xx
Old 18-08-10, 06:33 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: R&G Heated Grips - any good?

Wimp
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 06:46 PM   #3
kellyjo

Nope im not having that - I rode all thru the winter whilst you were tucked up at home til april with the only excuse that your bike had no front end!!!

I rode all last winter in summer gloves with my exceptionally attractive bar muffs and 95% of the time that was fine, but if I add some heated grips then it'll be roasty toasty all the way this year, i'll be able to roast marshmallows in my muffs!!

I cant ride in winter gloves, i've tried but just cant get on with anything other than my lovely A* summer ones.
Old 18-08-10, 07:00 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
Nope im not having that - I rode all thru the winter whilst you were tucked up at home til april with the only excuse that your bike had no front end!!!
I'll have you know it was damn cold whilst I was fiddling with my front end in the garage over the winter
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 07:26 PM   #5
madness

I fitted R & G Heated grips when I did my handlebar conversion. They quality of the grips, controller and wiring all seem good. They have 5 heat settings, in winter you'd probably use them on the highest setting. They come with a neat bracket for the controller that clamps around the handlebars, or you can stick it on a flat surface. The only criticism I've got is the angle that the cable leaves the grip. It's no problem on the fixed grip, but you just have to be a bit carefull in postioning it on the throttle tube so it doesn't get in the way when the throttle is fully open. I'd certainly recommend them at the price. Fitting was easy, but you dont get any glue with them. It wasn't an issue as I had some Bostik kicking around at home.
Old 18-08-10, 09:47 PM   #6
dill89

i've got them on the YBR, and Oxford ones on the Fazer.

got mine for £25 from a dealers and i must say they are just as good as the oxford ones. the grips themselves dont look as good, but you cant gaze at them whilst riding and they keep your hands nice and toasty anyways... and they heat up quite quick as well.

The throttle grip on my Fazers is broken so i'm thinkin of putting R&G on that aswell as the YBR coming up to winter

go ahead!
Old 19-08-10, 12:20 AM   #7
muddi

How easy/hard are they to alter the temp settings with gloves on? I'm thinking of getting some before the cold sets in. Its not fun riding when your hands are that cold they are purple and every movement takes forever and just hurts! went out twice and that happened and each time I didn't get to my destination as it just wasn't fun!! Thank feck I had the car for work etc.!

I will never scoff at anyone with heated grips again!!
Old 19-08-10, 08:22 AM   #8
madness

They are fairly easy to swith on and change temperature with gloves on. It's dependent on how bulky your gloves are though. Be aware though, that the front of your fingers which are getting the cold air blast will still get cold. You could try fitting so hand guards to keep the wind off.
Old 19-08-10, 08:34 AM   #9
kellyjo

Yep, im gonna use mine with bar muffs which will keep the warmth in and the cold air out - im almost looking forward to it in some weird, sick, twisted way!!!
Old 25-08-11, 07:48 PM   #10
carpet monster

I am fitting some to my SV.

So far so good, but it looks like I will have trouble fitting the throttle side, due to a tapered end that the standard grip rolls over. You can see the tapered lip in this photo:

Leaving the lip showing at the end of the grip would look messy after I have gone to such lengths to hide the wiring I've done!

I don't want to have to try and cut it off, so I guess sourcing another tube without this lip is the way to go. What did you do?