SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-12-09, 01:31 PM   #1
Neeja

Default Muffler connector/steel wool

Putting the bike back together with the new engine in it, and the rear exhaust stub won't tighten up. Seems that the muffler connector, as ronayers calls it, is now missing, probably rolling around under my bed after cleaning up the pipes in my bedroom while they were off the bike.

Can this be replaced with steel wool wrapped around the header stub and clamped over? That's basically what it looked like already, and I can't be bothered waiting for the official part to come through *lazy*
Old 30-12-09, 01:44 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Muffler connector/steel wool

It's not steel wool, it's a fibre sleeve gasket constructed upon a a steel mesh support. And it sounds very much like your original one was loose and all the fibres had blown away.

Use the standard part - if you don't you will need to make up the thickness of said sleeve with whatever you use to improvise, this evidenced by your inabilty to tighten the pipes together - the outer pipe is several millimetres larger than the inner.
I have seen several attempts to bodge this - none lasted.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 30-12-09 at 01:44 PM. Reason: A small change.
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote