SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-13, 11:48 AM   #1
v0r73x

Default SK7 Speedo Problem

Yet another speedo problem Have read around so I'm pretty sure I'm looking over the right stuff just wanted to confirm with you kind people!

2007 SV650S where the speedo started reading erratically for a few days - in that accelerating it would drop to 0 then take it's time figuring out what speed to display or doing 40 it would drop to 35 then 43 then 40 etc. Last week it finally died and no matter what speed it's always 0.

I've checked the sensor on the front wheel and it looks perfect, rotor still has all its teeth. Traced the cable back and took the air filter housing out to get to the connector to run through the battery test in the haynes manual, didn't get any reading (although I'm not overly confident on this test). I also took the wheel off to grab the sensor and gave it a spin with the ignition on as I read somewhere this should also give a reading?

I think I've isolated it being the whole sensor unit so I'm guessing I need to replace with part 34990-17G10? Any other bits I should be checking or help appreciated??

TIA
v0r73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 02:48 PM   #2
TCochrane

Default Re: SK7 Speedo Problem

I've got the exact same problem as you, mine's an SK3 though.

Seems to have started since I added a few too many things to the bike though, electrical items. e.g. HID's, heated grips, LED indicators, power socket.

Have you added similar things? My theory is that the regulator rectifier can't keep up with all the ad-ons but I'd like a second opinion

Tim
Old 08-07-13, 03:33 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default SK7 Speedo Problem

Check the wiring very carefully. Failure of the actual pickup is rare, wiring damage is common.
Test by pushing a thin sewing needle through the wiring's insulation as close to the pickup as possible, buzz from there back up to the connector, and across the sensor itself.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-13, 09:15 AM   #4
v0r73x

Thanks for the tips, I tried testing the wiring but got zip back as to readings. Picked up a new one and fitted last night and all works properly again
v0r73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-13, 10:32 AM   #5
kiggles

i have got the same problem with mine and had it in the past.

first problem was the speed magnetic rota in the front wheel had shattered. check that and if it broken replace it.

i haven't checked mine yet but its on the to do list. it take 10 mintutes to fix.

for me 10 minutes is 10 minutes longer in bed sleeping so not done yet
Old 17-07-13, 12:34 PM   #6
TCochrane

Can you explain how to check the speed rota on the front wheel? Do I need a front paddock stand / abba stand to do it?
A brief tutorial might be helpful