SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-10-18, 08:15 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Accessing rear side spark plug (K8)

Anybody got any tips for accessing the side spark plug on the rear on the twin spark K8?
I've battled with the radiator and done the front ok and top rear under the seat, but can't get in to the side rear as it looks like the coolant reservoir is in the way. Rather not remove the reservoir and drain the coolant as I did it already recently.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 08:24 PM   #2
jwray4422

Default Re: Accessing rear side spark plug (K8)

Take off the seat, then swing the gas tank up, there is a small notch in the side of the reservoir on the back side that will allow you to get a deep well socket and an extension down there, just put some electrical tape on the inside of the socket so it will stay in the socket until you get it out of the tight area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jwray4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 08:27 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

Never done it myself on a twin-spark SV but over on SVRider, a couple of posts say that the plug box in the toolkit is best as it's jointed so it can get into the confined spaces ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 08:38 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers. I haven't actually got as far as accessing the plug as I can't even get in there to get enough grip on the cap to remove it without worry of pulling the wiring out of it.
The other three plugs are NGK Iridium so not original and must have been done in the last few thousand miles. I'm slightly concerned that this last one may never have been changed though, maybe as it's a hassle to get to and has now seized up.
Old 10-10-18, 08:39 PM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I have a good spark plug socket (with added tape) and extensions.
Old 10-10-18, 09:16 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

The lead should have a cap with long boot on it. So it's possible to grab enough to pull the cap off the plug.
The reservoir should then have a cut out allowing you to see the plug top.

The standard toolkit plug wrench is the best tool in the bag and will reach, but that said I've always used a swivel plug wrench on a socket drive.

I'll admit it looks like it's going to be a pig of a job but when you get to it everything actually does line up right. Unusual for Suzuki.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 11:48 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

move the expansion hose out the way with your fingers and you will see the cap.

i personally use a magnetic plug wrench.

what ever you do dont over tighten iridium plugs.

if you use a plug wrench to put the plugs in then use your fingers to tighten. if it goes tight within a few turns then you are xthreading so take out and try again. the plug should run pretty much all the way down by using your fingers on the wrench/extension.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 06:33 AM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers. I am being ultra careful putting plugs back in . Hand tightening and then a tiny turn to cinch up.

Magnetic plug wrench is a good call. i didn't know they existed. Will put it on the list to get. Thanks.
Old 11-10-18, 08:50 PM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Ok. I got the cap off but there's no way I'm getting any tool in there and successfully engaging it to get the plug out without taking the coolant reservoir out. There just isn't enough gap. Socket set with plug socket and extensions or the toolkit spark plug tool. Neither will fit in there. I'm not sure if my bike has something different done to it.
As it is I'm happy that the plug is also an Iridium plug the same as the others (which were all in good condition) so has been replaced during the bike's life. I was concerned someone else might have given up trying to access it and left an old plug in there.

I'm going to leave it for now as I've only recently changed the coolant but will get it out next time I do it again.
Old 12-10-18, 06:45 AM   #10
Craig380
Mega Poster

For what it's worth, I fitted Iridiums in my K6 two years and 11,000 miles ago. The other weekend while my wife was watching Strictly I gave the bike a minor service.

The plugs had no signs of wear on the electrodes at all and the gap was exactly 0.75mm, same as it was when I installed them.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote