SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-07-20, 01:06 PM   #11
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Nightmare day

If you can dremel / cut a groove in the top you might be able to unscrew it with a flat bladed screwdriver.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-20, 08:23 PM   #12
redtrummy

If I need a bit of localised heat to loosen a nut I nick the wifes cooking torch - The flame can be adjusted to a fine pencil beam much better than the gas soldering iron thats in the shed.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 07:01 PM   #13
DamoK4

Still trying, getting there though. Need to keep the noise down at the minute as I I’ve been working late and the kids are in bed. Fridays early finish is looking like the day if I can’t get them out before. Gives me the weekend to tinker though. Can’t wait, gsxr shock will be arriving around then.

Borrowing works dremel, cooking torch is a good idea all else failing. Hoping the plusgas helps, I’ll keep spraying it in every day
DamoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 08:20 PM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Do you have an impact driver? If you do manage to cut a slot with the dremel that would probably give you your best chance before having to drill the heads off.

If you do snap or drill the heads off to enable you to remove the mudguard and take the forks off do try to leave some stud sticking out of the leg. The technique I've found most successful is to drop a nut over the stud and then weld it in place. The heat from the weld tends to expand the bolt and then when it cools it will often break loose quite easily with a spanner on the nut. I appreciate you may not have a welder but once the legs are off it wouldn't be to hard to pop into a workshop somewhere and have them do it for you for the cost of a pint?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-20, 08:04 AM   #15
DamoK4

I’ll order an impact driver now. I’m sure I’ll need it again in the future. Hopefully the weld idea won’t be needed but I know a guy who will do it for me so that’s one to keep in mind
Old 22-07-20, 06:12 PM   #16
Toooldtodie

And buy replacement fasteners for everything in stainless steel and smother them in RRG when reattaching. There are very few OEM bolts/nuts, etc on my bike!
Old 24-07-20, 03:02 PM   #17
DamoK4

Got 3 of 4 bolts out so far. Managed to get the forks out with the mudguard still attached on my own. Soaked for 2 days in a penetrant, gave them a whack. Swore at them a lot and they came off. Also managed to break the dust guard thing but ordered 2 more which came yesterday. Got a pool of plus gas on the back of the thread now so fingers crossed the last one comes out soon. Hoping to get them sprayed up today and fitted, if not tomorrow. My rear shock isn’t in the uk yet.

Noticed surface rust on my triple clamp although it doesn’t look pitted. Smothered them in acf90 for now while I have easy access.

On a side note do you think I could attach a bracket to a 2x6 beam to lift the back of the bike?
Old 26-07-20, 04:09 PM   #18
DamoK4

Quick update:

That last bolt is the devil, no chance of getting it out now I’ve snapped a bolt extractor in it, tried drilling it out to no avail so I’ll machine it out at work. Should get it out without touching the threads if I’m careful.

In the mean time I’ve got the springs and old oil out, to be honest the oil didn’t look as bad as I was expecting. Also the springs don’t look like the ones in the video I’m following along to on YouTube so not sure if they are oem or not. I took 525ml of oil out of each fork.

The spacer looks like it hasn’t been cut before as it’s still chamfered both ends. It measures 44-45mm. The old springs are 10mm longer than the new ones?

The old spring is the bottom one in the pic, the ktech is the top

Last edited by DamoK4; 26-07-20 at 04:35 PM.
Old 26-07-20, 04:29 PM   #19
DamoK4

When I tip the fork upside down there’s something free inside I can hear sliding back and forth. Is this normal? It’s not the spacer or washer it’s inside. Only when the fork is pushed in.

Last edited by DamoK4; 27-07-20 at 04:38 PM.
Old 28-07-20, 11:53 AM   #20
DamoK4

Thanks for the advice so far, learning a lot as I go along.