SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum



Boots Post your own reviews on boots here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-09, 09:06 PM   #1
bourne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

Hey guys,

I was looking around for all year round boots that offer proper protection. SIDIs seem to be really popular and look good as well. SIDI Black rain seemed to be reasonably priced, water proof and price was reasonable.

Now, I went to a store and was surprised when the employee showed me how easy all SIDIs bend at just below the ankle protection (the area between heel and ankle). I understand that boots with eso skeleton do better in that area but most eso skeleton boots are meant for racing and hence are not water proof.

Is that an important criteria? Any boots that you know offering both eso skeleton and waterproof? I'm looking to buy safe boots and I don't like to see a boot bend so easily there.

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 09:29 AM   #2
Dave20046
Member
Mega Poster
 
Dave20046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 10,206
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

TCX gortex boots about 190, all round wear extremely comfy.
__________________
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 09:51 AM   #3
Luckypants
Moderator
Mega Poster
 
Luckypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nr Ruthin
Posts: 7,022
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

Alpinestars SMX-4 waterproof, great all year boot. Not had a drop of water get through yet, despite riding in some monsoon conditions.
__________________
"Your Viffer sounds like it is raising hell! Spot on." - Witchery 17/4/08
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:20 AM   #4
gavinsky23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

TCX goretex are brilliant. I've had mine over a year and wear them everyday. Very comfy, never leaked!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:24 AM   #5
Viney
'idle Management
Mega Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the shadows to the left
Posts: 7,700
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourne View Post
Hey guys,

I was looking around for all year round boots that offer proper protection. SIDIs seem to be really popular and look good as well. SIDI Black rain seemed to be reasonably priced, water proof and price was reasonable.

Now, I went to a store and was surprised when the employee showed me how easy all SIDIs bend at just below the ankle protection (the area between heel and ankle). I understand that boots with eso skeleton do better in that area but most eso skeleton boots are meant for racing and hence are not water proof.

Is that an important criteria? Any boots that you know offering both eso skeleton and waterproof? I'm looking to buy safe boots and I don't like to see a boot bend so easily there.

Thanks.
Hey Bourne. Welcome to the site. I am sure that Sidi do one of thier race boots thats waterproof. In all honesty, i have never looked at how my boots flex and it wasnt something that i considered. My main thing was are they waterproof! Most bike clothing will be fine for the kind of 'offs' that occur. I have a couple of offs with in my Sidis and they were fine. I did however, have a few issues around waterproofing! I eblieve that they are now Goretex lined which should make them a lot better. The Sidis should be fine, and dont be put off by a slaesperson scaring you into buying dearer boots!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:38 AM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster
 
the_lone_wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hamble
Posts: 4,266
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourne View Post
I was looking around for all year round boots that offer proper protection. SIDIs seem to be really popular and look good as well. SIDI Black rain seemed to be reasonably priced, water proof and price was reasonable.

Now, I went to a store and was surprised when the employee showed me how easy all SIDIs bend at just below the ankle protection (the area between heel and ankle). I understand that boots with eso skeleton do better in that area but most eso skeleton boots are meant for racing and hence are not water proof.

I use black rains and theyyyyyyy're great... they're not designed to be an exoskeleton at all, simply to provide leather between your ankle and the road, they do have armour over the point of rotation of your heel so will offer some protection is you smack you foot into the road, they're plenty waterproof too, having ridden in some foul conditions i'd take them again any day

if you really want to go overboard get some MX boots, i also have a pair of sidi crossfires:



for supermoto, also waterproof but they feel like you're wearing solid armour, very little flex compared to a road boot (and they weigh in at about 1kg each) but they offer a bit more protection

however, at the end of the day it's the luck of the draw, you might just catch it wrong like some guy did on france last year, 0:21 in you can see the bike tuck and he broke his ankle, he was wearing mx boots...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIAUTTTQhfM

__________________
Official "Dumbass of the Year" 2011
(_)
( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 10-02-09 at 10:41 AM.
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 03:52 PM   #7
bourne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm so new to riding that I don't even have a license (the exam is on 17th Feb), however, I'm trying to do my prep work so once the exam is done I spend my money wisely and not on the shiniest gadgets.

I remember someone in this forum writing something around the lines of "if you can twist your boot into a ball... what protection does it offer". I'm sure 90% it all depends on luck, but being a noob I want to have the rest 10% on my side

Thanks for specific boot models, right now "TCX Competizione S Goretex" would probably on the top of my list.

Thanks again everyone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 03:57 PM   #8
ophic
Member
Mega Poster
 
ophic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Whyteleafe
Posts: 3,395
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

I don't like the Sidi Black Rains for 2 reasons - the heel is abrasive and rubs the paint off your heel plates - and they leaked like sieves.

On the plus side, they were extremely comfortable. It's possible i just got a bad pair, or perhaps they have improved the design recently?
__________________
Silver SV650SK3, Fuel exhaust
ophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 04:00 PM   #9
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster
 
the_lone_wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hamble
Posts: 4,266
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourne View Post
I remember someone in this forum writing something around the lines of "if you can twist your boot into a ball... what protection does it offer". I'm sure 90% it all depends on luck, but being a noob I want to have the rest 10% on my side
ain't gonna matter what you're wearing when that 18 wheeler rolls over your foot...

no bike boot is going to stop you overflexing or breaking your ankle, if it did you wouldn't be able to move your foot - if you're twisting your leg i'd rather have the extra motion a lighter boot offers, with those crossfires on it's going to be your knee joint snapping like pulling a drumstick off a chicken
__________________
Official "Dumbass of the Year" 2011
(_)
( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 05:16 PM   #10
arcdef
Member
Mega Poster
 
arcdef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nr. Guildford
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

I have a pair of these GAERNE GR-W AQUATECH. Amazing boots, really nice to wear, cant even manage to bend it slightly sideways and am yet to get wet or cold. I also didnt pay that much, jsut used that page to show you.
__________________
now one of the 33bhp people

Org Map
arcdef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where's my ankle gone? dirtsk8 Idle Banter 16 13-09-08 11:28 PM
Twisted ankle Blue_SV650S Idle Banter 20 21-09-07 09:46 AM
summer water proof gloves steveg Gloves 0 14-05-07 06:17 PM
any one recommend a cheap water proof boot? steveg Boots 9 20-10-06 11:18 PM
Water proof Over suit Grinch Suits 8 15-06-05 09:17 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.