SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Exhausts Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 24-02-12, 08:42 AM   #1
XmisterIS

Default Beowulf slip-on - sublime to ridiculous!

As we all know the OEM can is huge, heavy and makes the bike sound like a hairdryer.

So I swopped the old can out for a Beowulf slip-on ... and it went too far the other way!!! Actually, anti-socially loud - making pedestrians wince when I opened up the throttle, not to mention the fact that it actually hurt my ears too just sitting on the bike ... and that's with the baffle IN!! Other than that, it's actually a nice sound - just too loud.

In fact, there's not much difference between the loudness of the engine with no can at all and with the Beowulf.

So I put the standard can back on for the meantime because I think it's the lesser of two evils.

What can I do to make the beowulf can a bit quieter while still retaining the nice sound it makes? E.g. I love the rumbling and popping sound it makes during engine braking - that's very satisfying.

Last edited by XmisterIS; 24-02-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 24-02-12, 09:17 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Beowulf slip-on - sublime to ridiculous!

You must be ghey.........

The only thing you need to do is grow a pair....and invest in earplugs

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-12, 09:30 PM   #3
Sabarius

I find my blue flame is just right, still makes small dogs bark like crazy
Old 25-02-12, 09:15 AM   #4
MisterTommyH

Really?

I thought that the Beowulf was just about right with the baffle, which then mysteriously fell out....

I've heard worse.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 02:16 PM   #5
AndyBrad

i must admit im moving away from loud exhausts. they sounds great when blatting through the dales but when your in a town i feel embarresed its so loud.
Old 25-02-12, 05:11 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I feel the same as Andy - I like the noise but sometimes there's just too much of it for comfort when in town. I have a friend who owns a Buell which is truly apocalyptically loud - I just feel embarrassed riding that, it feels like I'm bringing about the end of motorcycling all on my own so much is the hate I'm feeling from all and sundry as I bellow past.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 05:24 PM   #7
The Idle Biker

Well I think you're being a bit self conscious, it's a beautiful sound, but if you really want to know how to quieten it...... Well this guy does tyres and exhausts at trackdays. He never fails to get exhausts quieter. If you really must quieten it, drop this guy an email. Top bloke.

His name is Steph. http://www.tyres4bikes.co.uk/
Old 07-12-12, 06:10 PM   #8
Rokerman

I am about a month into Beowulf ownership and I have to admit I thought it was a bit loud at first.

I now think its a thing of beauty. Sound is very nice, the popping mentioned above is great, and as a commuter cars know I am approaching.

Great prices too - being British is also a bonus.
Remember folks....loud pipes save lives!
Oh and I wouldn't like to take the baffle out. That WOULD be too loud.
Old 07-12-12, 06:44 PM   #9
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmisterIS View Post
What can I do to make the beowulf can a bit quieter while still retaining the nice sound it makes? .
Have you made sure you got a nice tight seal at all the joints? Did you use any kind of sealing exhaust paste?

Also is it new or used? If used, the wadding in the can could have been blown out?

Last edited by dkid; 07-12-12 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 08:06 PM   #10
Dave-the-rave

My bike was way too loud when I bought it. It sounded like a .50 caliber passing over head, a really loud sharp crack, and was mental on the over run.

I enrichend the pilot mixture half a turn which reduced popping by about 90% and changed the over all tone. It's a deeper less intrusive sound now which I can enjoy without feeling like a criminal.

The plugs are a bit sooty at 1/4 throttle but plug chops at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle show them clean.