SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-05, 02:06 PM   #1
Longshotmojo

Default Gear lever problem

When I downshift into first, the gear lever does not lock into place like it usually does. The gear lever can still be moved about. It will lock eventually but it needs a bit of coaxing with my left foot. The gearbox runs fine otherwise, but I like to know that I'm definately in first gear when I want to be. After consulting the Haynes, it seems to suggest that maybe the return spring is either worn or broken. Does this sound about right?
Cheers
Old 25-03-05, 03:02 PM   #2
welshy

I have the same problem although it doesn't happen that often, usually when i brake sunddenly and go throught he gears quickly.
This problem has been mentioned before and somebody goes through in detail how to fix it. If my memory serves me correctly the problem is a clogged up return spring.
It is quite difficult to sort out as it requires the removal of several components.
Please keep me posted of how you get on as i know one day i will have to do mine.
Cheers
Welshy
Old 26-03-05, 05:29 PM   #3
derbybiker

Give the lever a good clean and oil around where it joins the foot rest.

I've had problems in the past when going down the gear box not being able to engage a gear properly and it turns out that this was my problem.

I give it a small drop of oil every week now and not had any problems since.
Old 26-03-05, 05:35 PM   #4
snoopy

Yup it was me having that problem. It's caused by **** (grit) getting in the lever where foot rests on. A lot of WD40 and grease in that part tends to free it up. Still happens on mine every so often but it's generally alright now.
Old 26-03-05, 05:55 PM   #5
RandyO

+1 more reply on clean your shift linkage
Old 29-04-05, 07:13 AM   #6
Longshotmojo

I tried to remove the nut securing the footrest in to give it a clean out, but it was locked solid. I didn't want to risk knackering the bolt so got it done when the bike went in for 7.5k service. They removed the gear lever and gave it a clean. Problem sorted. I think I'll be giving it a drop of oil everyweek from now on :P