SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 18-05-09, 04:22 PM   #1
russg

Default trip to france

hey guys

we are looking going to france for a few days after we tour england for a bit we have heard people saying u need hi vis vests incase u breakdown is this true also do you need gb stickers etc to go on the number plate is there anything else we need to do or take to keep out of trouble with mr police man

oh does anyone know the price of ferries or trains i have heard they are cheap but i cant find cheap ferry or train

cheers rusty
________
Apple Games

Last edited by russg; 19-03-11 at 07:05 PM.
Old 18-05-09, 05:37 PM   #2
mr.anderson

Default Re: trip to france

P&O ferries will cost £50 odd return for 2 people on 1 bike if booked 3 weeks or so in advance.

Dover to Calais is a 1hr 30min journey.

Hi vis vests are required as well as a warning triangle, but I have heard that this is not too widely enforced - not worth the risk IMO.

GB stickers on plates are also "required" but I know a few people who have done trips without and no-one noticed.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 07:20 AM   #3
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Would not be seen dead with a GB sticker/plate on! I have a couple of StAndrews flags stuck to the back of the box.

Never bothered with any of the safety ****e, no room cos of all the adaptors and plugs and chargers she carries!

Anytime I have been stopped by French or Spanish cops, get your helmet off and give them your passport ,license/insurance and V5 docs, a smile (if you have not been bad, give it "meek" if you have) and I have always been waved on my way. Near borders usually.
Watch your speed approaching motorway sevices as they like having speed traps there (so they are not too far away from the le coffee and la donuts?)

Keep your docs in one of those re-sealable bags and take photocopies of them to leave in the house, should you lose them.

Check out Dover to Dunkerque/Dunkirk.(Norfolkline? DFDS?) Cheaper, bit longer (30 mins from memory) but not as congested with tourists. Seems more freight. And if you are a paranoid android like me, consequently less cops and traps......mibee

Have a good one you lucky people.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 09:13 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Agree with a lot of what Stramasher put. Hi-vis vest is required if you stop on the side of the road as is warning triangle. You can easily pack the hi-vis small or just wear it...

For a warning triangle you can get a cloth one from Heine Gericke that fits over a backpack / tank bag / helmet to give it shape and takes up no room at all. It cost me £2, so cheap as chips!

As far as the GB sticker goes, I always have a number plate with a blue EU GB 'banner' on it, so that takes care of that. To be 100% legit you need a GB sign on a rear facing surface - I have seen them on helmets / jackets / bum bags / tail packs / panniers and so on! You can get quite small ones from Halfords that will fit somewhere on the bike (For my first trip in 97, I used a small one from a sticker set in Ride magazine).

I always go Dover/Dunkirk cos it tends to be cheaper and less crowded (I use Norfolkline) - plus as it takes me a day to get to Dover, I can cross then stop at the Formule1 (€32 a room up to 3 sleeping) in Dunkirk before getting a flyer across Northern France.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 19-05-09 at 09:18 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 11:45 AM   #5
gazza

As far as i can remember i dont think you need a warning triangle but you do need a spare set of bulbs and fitted light beam deflectors.
Old 19-05-09, 11:56 AM   #6
gazza

I have just checked on the AA website (comulsory equipment) and it says in sub text (9) that a warning triangle is compusory however in sub text (11) it is not compulsory on 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles.
Old 19-05-09, 06:56 PM   #7
Tim in Belgium

When I got stopped for speeding in Austria they also mentioned I should have a GB sticker, and after paying my small fine insisted I buy one at the next garage, which I agreed to, knowing full well there'd be know GB stickers in the Austrian mountains. I'd fit one as it's easy enough to do and could mean avoiding a fine of some sort if stopped for another misdemeanour (sp?) .
Old 23-05-09, 05:39 PM   #8
GazandKatie

We have just come back from France, you do not need a warning triangle or hi-vis vest on a motorbike. Bulbs are recommended by the AA. You legally have to adjust your headlight beam but I didnt bother and you should have a GB sticker or the GB bit on your plate. I got a GB plate made up as I thought it would be one less excuse to get pulled. You must carry originals of your Driving licence (both parts) Insurance and registration document.

We hardly saw any Police as they seemed to have fitted static speed cameras, these are very well sign posted with huge warning signs. They also have little cameras on tripods operated by Police officers which are very difficult to see, they wear dark blue uniforms and seem to hide. We only saw these around towns though on our visit.

I hope this helps, give me a shout if there is anything else we can help with
Old 23-05-09, 06:03 PM   #9
GazandKatie

A few road signs which you might want to remember,

This means that you have right of way.

This means that you must give way to traffic joining from the right (even if you are on the major road and the other traffic is joinging from a side road.

I think this one means the same as above, ie must give way to traffic joining from the right. This sign wasnt as popular as the two signs above
Old 18-08-09, 01:29 PM   #10
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Sorry to resurrect and old thread.

What would be the consequences of not having your V5 while traveling over the channel and again if you were stopped by the Police in France???