SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-07, 06:35 PM   #1
flynn209

Default Invert signals?

Is there anyway that I can have the turn signals always on to act as marker lights?? Then when I turn the signal on it will go off-on-off instead of on-off-on :P

I could have sworn I saw a device that allowed this to happen, but after a few searches on here, I cant seem to find it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 18-01-07, 08:25 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Why would you want that?
Thats what they have on trucks and long vehicles. Also on some volvo's, which I find really annoying because if you are about to emerge from a junction, at a quick glance they can look like the car is indicating
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-07, 08:37 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

You can indeed get a box of tricks to do that very thing or make your own (most American bikes have this) try search for crusier mods, and easy one is to look for the indicators with three wires and corresponding bulbs( twin element .

However it's also illegal in this country, as the only constant lights visible are white/front & red rear, so will need removal come MOT time.

Saying that I doubt you'd get much trouble, unless of course you bring it on yourself

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-07, 09:27 PM   #4
flynn209

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S
...at a quick glance they can look like the car is indicating...
Seeing *both* signals flashing at once would cause you to think someone is turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
...try search for crusier mods...However it's also illegal in this country...
Thanks, Ill take a look at some of those cruiser web sites.... And if I ever ship my bike accross the pond, Ill keep your warning in mind :P
Old 18-01-07, 09:46 PM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn209
Quote:
Seeing *both* signals flashing at once would cause you to think someone is turning?
Sorry I must not have explained clearly.

Say if the car was coming around the roundabout and I was waiting to come on to the roundabout. I can only see the one side of the car and at a quick glance I see that the indicator is on (it's on constant, but because its only a quick glance I'm not sure)
So I'm not sure if the car is indicating left to come off the roundabout or carrying on around. So I'm not sure if I can come on to the roundabout or not.

Does that make sense?
Old 18-01-07, 10:02 PM   #6
flynn209

Yep, that makes sense.

Other drivers would actually have to pay attention in order to know if the signal is flashing or solid. That makes me want to do it even more!
Old 18-01-07, 10:03 PM   #7
muffles

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry I must not have explained clearly.

Say if the car was coming around the roundabout and I was waiting to come on to the roundabout. I can only see the one side of the car and at a quick glance I see that the indicator is on (it's on constant, but because its only a quick glance I'm not sure)
So I'm not sure if the car is indicating left to come off the roundabout or carrying on around. So I'm not sure if I can come on to the roundabout or not.

Does that make sense?
i'd agree with that although i can't right now think of any volvos that are like this (I thought they all have the orange sidelight as a separate light rather than utilising the indicator light itself). probably ok in america where they don't turn much :P
Old 18-01-07, 10:03 PM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
However it's also illegal in this country, as the only constant lights visible are white/front & red rear, so will need removal come MOT time.
Really? I've seen a few grey imports with always on front indicators although that was 10 years ago so i guess the law may have changed

Not that the MOT matters much to flynn209
Old 18-01-07, 10:09 PM   #9
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Yep, that makes sense.

Other drivers would actually have to pay attention in order to know if the signal is flashing or solid. That makes me want to do it even more!
Fair point actually because you do have to take extra time to see if the indicators on.
However on the other hand, they might jump the gun and assume you are indicating, and like in the roundabout situation above, they might think you are exiting the roundabout and then pull out in front of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
i'd agree with that although i can't right now think of any volvos that are like this (I thought they all have the orange sidelight as a separate light rather than utilising the indicator light itself). probably ok in america where they don't turn much :P
It could be that they are separate lights, but with a quick glance, you only see the amber light and assume.......
Old 19-01-07, 12:29 PM   #10
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Yep, that makes sense.

I'd be very dubious of making a wiring change that could mean people think you are indicating when you are not, but the grey imports such as Honda Bros used to run just the front indicators on constant as side lights, then when you indicated it would cut out the solid light on one side and flash the other. That was good for visability.