SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-10-17, 01:00 PM   #31
DomP

Default Re: Fork value

Spotted you on 675.cc already!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-17, 03:19 PM   #32
Mega Poster

Do it, it's a learning curve, not too difficult to do and if you get a full front end then it's not too costly. SV1000 wheels fit, come with 310mm discs and tend to be cheaper than the marginally lighter GSXR wheels.

Plus it looks the tits.

Might be interested in your existing forks if you decide to do this.
Old 11-10-17, 03:56 PM   #33
Mega Poster

Oh, ignore that then! Just noticed you're looking at 675's. Here's my lowdown:

For:

1. Great induction note
2. Light
3. Flickable
4. Decent on fuel if you keep the throttle bashing down. Not as good as SV, but then it's got more power
5. Look great with the dual headlights and a low boy exhaust
6. Not too bad on insurance
7. Hold value well if cared for and rinsed down

Against:

The suspension is sh!t. Sorry to ruffle the feathers of the ridiculous hoards of die hards that the bike has, but it's true. The rear shock is cheap, overly stiff and will give you a bruised tailbone in no time - especially as you're such a featherweight. The front forks (I had the R model) are similar, jittery, overly sprung, under damped. I'd highly recommend a complete revalve from Maxton and get one of their rear shocks to match the front, you'll truly have a bike that handles like a goddam dream at that point. The bike in standard guide is good on track and those rare, poker flat roads you encounter once in a blue moon. HORRIBLE on anything else.

The whine from the engine will eventually get to you. Can be masked with a loud exhaust but chances are you'll go for Arrows if it's the underseat exhaust model you're after. They sound OK with the baffle in but have a horrific drone with the baffle out. This is only noticeable to the rider as it's the positioning that causes issues. Can cut baffles down to find happy medium.

Seat is shockingly crap. I mean among the worst I've ever encountered. I ended up luckily coming across a Sargent seat that I got off the forum, transformed the comfort level and made the bike a keeper.

I installed a GB Moto (I think) low boy exhaust, this helped reduce the overly heavy **** end handling it had and saved about 3 kilotonnes in weight. It was bonkers loud though, loved it for a week or two then got mega sick of it, it was rancid.

Here it was, just before I sold it on:

With Arrow exhausts

With the low boy I swapped over to

With GSXR rear pillion pegs (I forget what generation):

It was much quicker all round with the low boy on. Guessing this was due to weight saving and an increased mid range. Still nothing to write home about, I find the SV1000 much more exciting to ride tbh.

Would I have another? Maybe, if they got rid of the straight cut cams to do away with the engine whine - it's not like a VFR750 gear driven cam sound, it's very whistley and annoying. I'd budget about £1500 to bring the suspension bang up to spec, though.
Old 11-10-17, 04:10 PM   #34
DomP

Your against section doesnt make for good reading, everything I read about them says the suspension is one of the good things about them.

I appreciate the reveiw though!

I'm having to sell my Renaultsport partly due to space on the drive but also to reduce my annual tax and insurance outgoings and the idea of combining it and my sv into a bike I've always wanted softens the blow.

Surely there are more pros

Old 12-10-17, 07:53 AM   #35
Mega Poster

It's a good bike, don't get me wrong. It's far from a proper long term keeper though. In my opinion...and it is just that, my opinion. The suspension is undeniably cheapo, though. Serves well on track and smooth roads, but makes for a horrible, jittery, nerve inducing ride on anything but that.

I'd highly recommend you approach a Triumph dealer/bike dealer that has one in stock and take it out for a full day. Hit every type of road you can think of, make your mind up from there. Anything you read online will give you an idea, but a full day of riding will tell you whether it's the bike for you, or not.
Old 12-10-17, 09:04 PM   #36
DomP

Went to a local used bike dealer to look at a black daytona today, stupidly let on i wanted a red or yellow one so when I asked if I could take a test ride he said 'why? you want a red one so you won't be buying this one'. What an idiot! Anyway I sat on it and it doesn't seem too different a position to my sv650s, seat is maybe a little higher and the front end is much stiffer. All round seems a smaller bike which isn't a bad thing for a dwarf like me. I like, a lot! But I won't be buying from these guys.

Old 12-10-17, 09:53 PM   #37
Mega Poster

Black daytonas with gold wheels are achingly pretty
Old 12-10-17, 10:00 PM   #38
DomP

Yeah not bad but after my black sv I fancy a red bike, if I sell my 182 tomorrow I will be halfway to a daytona so then just the sv to go

Old 13-10-17, 11:57 AM   #39
DomP

Bit of a result today, sold my 182 for £2800 so that can go towards my fund

Old 13-10-17, 01:42 PM   #40
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Nice one Dom!

I do have to disagree with 650, the Caspian blue with gold wheels is by far the best looking (also the fastest) but I may be biased

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk