SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-18, 01:56 PM   #1
egcSV650s

Default Garage Security

Afternoon everyone, just had my garage door fixed so can finally get my bike in there and just wondering what sort of extra security would you recommend to lock the door? Im not keen on the external defenders im more after something internal where you cant see it from the outside. Thanks

Last edited by egcSV650s; 17-02-18 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Better explination
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 04:14 PM   #2
Teejayexc

Default Re: Garage Security

Sit on a chair with a 12 bore!
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 04:20 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

What kind of door has garage got ? is it a steel up-and-over or double wooden doors ?

I fitted these to our steel up-and-over doors, you can drill the wood at the side and glue in the supplied tubes to fit them but I chose the hard way and put them into concrete floor with epoxy LOL
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22117437503...4960635&crdt=0

for a pair of hinged wooden doors try one of these locking bars.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pad-Locka...%3D&rmvSB=true

and lastly..
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=228512

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-02-18 at 04:23 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 04:29 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Put a large Beware of the Dog notice on the door.

I can understand that having a door guard/post/thingie may look ugly, and some will say it makes it look like you have something precious inside, but to a casual thief it's hassle and they're more likely to look next door instead. Low life opportunists with a screwdriver in their pocket are the most likely to cause you grief so making them look elsewhere is well worth it.

The other thing to bear in mind is keeping things covered and hidden. We get suspicious vans and recovery trucks down our road every day with the passenger looking very carefully into every garden and open garage door as they slowly drive by. Keep your bike out of sight, under a sheet or cover too to disguise the shape from snoopers.
Old 17-02-18, 04:50 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post

I can understand that having a door guard/post/thingie may look ugly, and some will say it makes it look like you have something precious inside, but to a casual thief it's hassle and they're more likely to look next door instead. Low life opportunists with a screwdriver in their pocket are the most likely to cause you grief so making them look elsewhere is well worth it.

The other thing to bear in mind is keeping things covered and hidden. We get suspicious vans and recovery trucks down our road every day with the passenger looking very carefully into every garden and open garage door as they slowly drive by. Keep your bike out of sight, under a sheet or cover too to disguise the shape from snoopers.
I am always careful to make sure my bike is not visible from outside even when I have garage door open, even if I only prop a large piece of cardboard in front of it, I try not to put garage lights on with door open. Call me a racist but if I hear the gipsy (pikey) scrap collectors electronic trumpet call approaching I shut the door toot-sweet (tout de suite).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 17-02-18, 05:30 PM   #6
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
What kind of door has garage got ? is it a steel up-and-over or double wooden doors ?

I fitted these to our steel up-and-over doors, you can drill the wood at the side and glue in the supplied tubes to fit them but I chose the hard way and put them into concrete floor with epoxy LOL
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22117437503...4960635&crdt=0

for a pair of hinged wooden doors try one of these locking bars.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pad-Locka...%3D&rmvSB=true

and lastly..
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=228512
Its a up and over door so will have a look at the links you sent, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post

Someone a few doors down has the defender on and it doesnt look too bad but im not sure on them but its true what your saying about them just looking elsewhere. Yeah i always keep a cover over my bike even in the garage may be over the top but better safe than sorry
Old 17-02-18, 05:37 PM   #7
egcSV650s

Ill get them locks and do what you said about doing it into the floor as i havent got much space either side of the door anyway so will be better going in the floor and ill get that alarm from the thread you posted which SV650rules has. Thanks
Old 17-02-18, 07:09 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

You will need a 17mm masonry drill or a bit of a waggle with a 16mm one. I actually left about 5mm of tube above floor to stop water and dirt getting in the tube. Good thing about Enfield locks is that you can only insert and withdraw the key when bolt is either fully extended or fully retracted. You can use key from both sides so if you don't want keyhole on the outside of the door you don't have to, and all that will show outside is the spherical heads of the mounting bolts.

The garage alarm beeped a couple of times during the night a month or so ago, I put peanut butter down and it disappeared, then I put down a trap and some mice disappeared as well.

Last edited by SV650rules; 18-02-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 17-02-18, 08:08 PM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I don't have an up-and-over but I saw a video about these,"Garage Defenders" which might be of interest,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1vS4l0VkCI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ender&_sacat=0
Old 17-02-18, 08:41 PM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

If your garage is shown on StreetView, just check the current version doesn't show your bike !