SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 16-07-14, 07:09 AM   #1
granty92

Default First track day

Morning all! Long time no speak (on my part) basically it's my 22nd in September and I want to book a track day where I can also rent a bike. Does anyone have an idea on where is the closest track for me to do so? I'm based in Dorset and I will happily travel just not a million miles, cheers guys and girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-07-14, 08:42 AM   #2
Griff-SV

Default Re: First track day

Castle Combe will be the closest to you mate. Good track, done 2 there myself. If you are willing to travel a bit further then why not try Brands Hatch?

After that it's a case of heading up into the midlands for the likes of Rockingham (Did a two day event there this year, awesome!) or Donington etc
Old 16-07-14, 08:47 AM   #3
granty92

Default First track day

Cheers griff, think I'll try brands hatch, hopefully I can rent a bike there

Old 16-07-14, 08:50 AM   #4
Griff-SV

Have a look at this mate - http://www.patracking.co.uk/trackdays_2007.php
Old 16-07-14, 09:44 AM   #5
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

I think NoLimits work with a track bike hire company. I'm sure I remember seeing them at a few of their days.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-14, 09:48 AM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

Most of the big companies like No Limits will rent you a bike, but it's worth comparing costs with a company such as the one linked to by Griff-SV.

If you fancy doing one with some people from the forum, we're doing Brands GP on August 12th.

I'm of a divided opinion on renting a track bike. For a few outings a year it's definitely cheaper than running your own track bike, especially as you don't need to transport it. But I think it's rather nice to use your own bike. It's just tarmac, and the chances of being knocked off by someone else are very slim, almost every off I've ever seen has been an unforced error by the rider. This is good news as it's in your control to ride the way you want to.

Jambo
Old 16-07-14, 11:34 AM   #7
granty92

Default First track day

Lovely job! That answers all my questions, this could be fun. Cheers again griff

Old 16-07-14, 11:36 AM   #8
granty92

Default First track day

Also my dad's bikes are both off the road and I want to give him a good go

Old 16-07-14, 11:39 AM   #9
Balky001
Mega Poster

I've hired track bikes before when on Focused Events days. They were in good condition and I though reasonable cost given wear and tear and fuel.

I found it takes a couple of sessions to get to know the bike (brakes, tyres, riding position) and you never know how many heat cycles the tyres have been through and tyre warmers are usually an extra.

The excess is very high given you may just break a clutch lever and get charged the full whack (£500 or £600 is normal) and it will be the end of your day. If you have a big off of course it would save money but I found I didn't enjoy the day as much.

That said, you can thrash the nuts off it and it is nice turning up in your car though with no loading/unloading/van hire/trailering worries

Last edited by Balky001; 16-07-14 at 11:41 AM.
Balky001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-14, 12:08 PM   #10
granty92

Default First track day

Balky do you remember how much it was to rent the bike? Just a rough estimate