SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-02-19, 04:48 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Virgin media

If there's one thing that irritates me it is someone telling me I don't have a problem when I do.

The VM team descended on my house today and, straight off, the network guy says that at no point have I lost my broadband in the last 3 days. I pointed out that I had, showed him a ping log that had 85 dropouts ranging from an insignificant 2 secs to a browser-error-generated "no internet" message which had lasted 1min 20 secs.

He didn't actually call me a liar... (a GSXR750 rider too), but he had an irritating habit of not letting me finish a sentence, though.

He said I couldn't demonstrate the problem. I said sit here for 8 hours and you'll see it. Can't do that, he said.

If you lost the 'net your hub would reboot, he said. I said yes, if the outage was longer than 90 secs. It would do it immediately, he said - another disagreement. I have just unplugged the coax to the hub and it still hadn't rebooted after 2 minutes, so he was wrong on that.

He said I'm the only one complaining (fair point) but how much time are others spending on line and doing what?

He turned to the manager and said: "nothing I can do, it's working fine"

I showed him graphs showing dropouts which matched the hub errors which also matched the ping outage log all occurring at the same (exact) time.

"Proves nothing", he said. Then he suggested my programs were what was causing my (perceived) issue. Good grief!

Bottom line he walked off. Manager decided to replace the house to street cable (today), I'm skeptical but I'll try anything.

Cable has been replaced and now I can't receive incoming phone calls.

Good news though, I called VM accounts and I'm not on a contract, so I can leave any time.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 05:12 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Virgin media

We've all had cocky engineers who sneer at you thinking you know nothing and refuse to accept clear evidence even when you hand it to them on a plate. Vote with your feet mate.

When the RAC insisted that the non-standard spec battery they fitted to my car was not to blame for the issues that followed they refused to believe Ford. I threatened court action and eventually got my money back and surprise surprise I did not renew. I'd been with them 26 years and they called to ask why, so I told them! And still left them!!
Old 12-02-19, 06:49 PM   #3
Teejayexc

Did you ask the techy man where 'pong' had disappeared to?

Apparently 'things' don't like it when left home alone, like yer thingummyjig not lining up with yer wotchermacallit and yer doodahs being left to fend for themselves when yer danglies go awol!

Find pong I say and yer ying and yer yang will be restored.

Hth, (probably won't, but neither has what the *expert* suggested, so what the ell)
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 07:44 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
If there's one thing that irritates me it is someone telling me I don't have a problem when I do.

The VM team descended on my house today and, straight off, the network guy says that at no point have I lost my broadband in the last 3 days. I pointed out that I had, showed him a ping log that had 85 dropouts ranging from an insignificant 2 secs to a browser-error-generated "no internet" message which had lasted 1min 20 secs.

He didn't actually call me a liar... (a GSXR750 rider too), but he had an irritating habit of not letting me finish a sentence, though.

He said I couldn't demonstrate the problem. I said sit here for 8 hours and you'll see it. Can't do that, he said.

If you lost the 'net your hub would reboot, he said. I said yes, if the outage was longer than 90 secs. It would do it immediately, he said - another disagreement. I have just unplugged the coax to the hub and it still hadn't rebooted after 2 minutes, so he was wrong on that.

He said I'm the only one complaining (fair point) but how much time are others spending on line and doing what?

He turned to the manager and said: "nothing I can do, it's working fine"

I showed him graphs showing dropouts which matched the hub errors which also matched the ping outage log all occurring at the same (exact) time.

"Proves nothing", he said. Then he suggested my programs were what was causing my (perceived) issue. Good grief!

Bottom line he walked off. Manager decided to replace the house to street cable (today), I'm skeptical but I'll try anything.

Cable has been replaced and now I can't receive incoming phone calls.

Good news though, I called VM accounts and I'm not on a contract, so I can leave any time.
You probably out knowledged his knowledge, typical response is to say it's rubbish, you don't know what you're talking about.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote