SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-05, 02:47 AM   #1
Shooter

Default Can I give up my SV650 for a Ducati Monster S4R ...help me

Huge dilemma

I have "found" a Ducati Monster S4R available as result of a finance default and the seller is desparate. He has it with a dealer selling on his behalf and the price is real attractive and even was dropped down yesterday. The dealer has made me a great trade in offer on my SV650 K4

The 2002 Duke has 4400Kms on it, is immaculate and is loaded with extras - horny cans and Ducati carbon fibre stuff everwhere. Full records available - dealer sold and serviced it.

I need to call the dealer in the morning. Tell me...is this what I want to do ? Do I want a Duke in my garage ?

My lovely wife is even fine about this and I have the money for it. Help...is this the machine I want and need ?
Old 20-03-05, 03:22 AM   #2
hall13uk

man giving up a k4 sv for anything else seems stupid to me i love my k4 but if you want it and you can have it why not you only live once!
Old 20-03-05, 08:24 AM   #3
wyrdness

It depends on why you ride. Ducati's can become very unreliable when they get wet. The Italians don't seem to appreciate that our weather is very different to theirs. However, if you mostly do dry miles and keep it sprayed with WD40 or, better still, ACF-50, then it should be OK. Ducati servicing seems to be much more expensive than for other makes and you must find out how much the insurance will cost. If all of that is OK with you, they're supposed to be really excellent bikes and I'm sure that you'd enjoy it immensely.
Old 20-03-05, 09:19 AM   #4
snoopy

If it's such a good idea can you not get it, ebay it, and get a K5 and your money back?
Old 20-03-05, 09:55 AM   #5
jonboy

If you're prepared to put up with the service and insurance costs and don't need Japanese reliability then go for it. Excellent bike with huge amounts of poke.

Old 20-03-05, 07:56 PM   #6
Shooter

Thanx Guys

Only worry is any problems that may arise from wet weather - we get a bit of rain in NZ and I do ride in it often out of necessity. ( the SV has been in many torrential situations and never even hiccuped once)

I had heard / read that the Ducati 'damp' issues were more a thing of the past and post 2000 models were less affected. Maybe someone has knowledge or an opinion on this please.

BTW - the Duke I am looking at is the S4 (not R) with the 916 motor. I kind of confused the model designations through un familiarity with the Monster variants over the last 5 years.

Trying hard not to let my heart rule my brain but then again...you only live once and are a long time dead.
Old 20-03-05, 08:06 PM   #7
Jelster

Modern day Ducati's are a lot better than their old reputation. However, servicing is not cheap and accessories cost a packet too. BUT... The S4R is a great looking bike, and it has decent suspension too.

I think you just have to consider whether or not you're prepared to go naked

Old 20-03-05, 08:59 PM   #8
Shooter

I'm already naked.
Old 21-03-05, 07:00 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Nah,dont do it,you know it will only break down and spares will get sent from Italy when they can be bothered.It will look nice in your living room though.Is the missus ok with that?God I have such a high opinion of Italian exotica Sorry
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-05, 11:03 PM   #10
Peter Henry

Shooter...The fact that you are even asking means you know your going to do it! I do not think that reliability is a real objection with the latest Duke's. you obviously love the Vee twins and stepping up to a Ducati? Well does it get any better? Get that sucker traded mate!