SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 24-07-11, 01:21 PM   #1
DaveP

Default Chain fitting Warrington area??

Been quoted £160 for fitting a chain and sprockets...(inc the parts.)

Found a set for £75

Is there anyone in the area that

A: Has the gear to fir this?
B: Would be willing to show me how its done?

I make a mean brew and and am very good at watching how things are done??

Cheers in advance for any help.

Dave
Old 25-07-11, 10:10 AM   #2
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain fitting Warrington area??

Ormskirk Motorcycles (Steve) - would probably do it cheap for you mate.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-11, 11:45 AM   #3
RavenWire

MC motorcycles might be able to help - round the back of evans house (across road from original wire pub) in warry town centre. 30 quid per hour labour - give the guy a shout see what he says 01925 411188
Old 27-07-11, 05:18 PM   #4
Preston

OMG! thats a new one most i seen someone charge for fitting is £20... it is really easy to do your self If you have a rear padock stand. i would advise when changing chain to change both front and rear sprockets to anyone.

i would say any motorbike service / repair machanic should not take more than 15 mins or max 20 min to do both sprockets and chain... if i was closer i would be happy to help but am in middlewich 30 - 45 min drive away.

Try looking in a yellow pages or Google motorbike service/repair in your area... asking around £85 + to fit em for you is beyond a joke mate.. i would guess they pay £45 - 65 for the kit...

time to find a better local place
Old 27-07-11, 06:13 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

15-20 minutes is pushing it.

I suppose what bike it is is the first issue. Having to take off fairings to get access to covers can be the first issue.

Additionally when ever I refit a rear, I always do an alignment check. That is a full 5 minutes assuming there is no issue in the first place.

I always clean out the crap from round the front sprocket, again another 5 minutes of scraping/wiping.

So all my time used before I have to account for removing cover. remove clutch lever, depress tab washer, lock rear wheel, slacken front sprocket, grind head off chain rivets and press out, remove rear wheel, remove rear sprocket, fit new sprocket and torque nuts, fit rear wheel, remove and replace front sprocket. fit chain/soft rivet, rivet heads, lock rear wheel, torque front sprocket, knock back tab washer, refit and adjust clutch lever, refit front cover.
Old 27-07-11, 06:31 PM   #6
Webber

Knutsford motorcycles are very close, just next to lymm. Used to be knutsford honda but has changed hands!
Old 28-07-11, 06:42 PM   #7
Preston

well just done 2 today 06 and 2001 20 mins on the pointy 15 on the 2001, chain, F+R sprockets, cleaned all affected areas and wheel, all sorted. guess it comes down to the pace of the fitter

even if it took 35 mins still dos not justify cost of £85 fitting... if they tryed would say they want £170 + an hour fitting lol thats just taking the *^&$ ....

I would say if its somthing you want to learn then go for it, every penny that stays in your pocket cant be all bad :P
Old 29-07-11, 08:33 PM   #8
Neeja

Two options for you here:

1) Take it to RD5 near Central station, and they'll sort it out sharpish
2) Buy a cheap chain-splitter/riveter tool and I'll come do it and show you how.

HTH