SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-02-07, 01:35 PM   #1
600+

Default Which Linux distro?

seeing as a few of you are competent on Linux I need some advise

newbie on Linux and was told to install mandrake but the problem i have is that if i want to install things I get stuck and mess up things.

someone suggested to get ubuntu as it's got a lot more GUI which obviously helps from a windows transition

what are ur thoughts?
Old 01-02-07, 01:43 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Well I run Fedora on my development systems, but that is because I want to approximate to the RHES servers that I run for work.

I never have had much by way of compatibility problems except for having to patch a couple of files to get my Oracle server to install.
Old 01-02-07, 01:44 PM   #3
Grinch

You have 3 version of Ubuntu...

Ubuntu using Gnome
Kubuntu using KDE
Xubuntu using XFCE

Gnome, KDE, and XFCE are just different desktop interfaces.

Gnome is easy to use and lots of the more advanced functions are hidden. Good for beginners.

KDE, more for your techie. Can look very messy with lots of options to do the same thing in a different way, I use it but then I know what I'm doing.

XFCE, like Gnome, but a light interface good for running on old machines. I have it running on a old PIII 500 MHz laptop with 128mb ram and a 6GB disk, runs like a dream.

Though all of these can be customised as you see fit and you can just install another desktop if you don't like the one your on. No need to 'reinstall' the whole OS, just download the files from the web.
Old 01-02-07, 01:49 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Linux/Unix: "Less of an Operating System. More of a Religion."

Even though it's improving all the time, (and indeed, I'm working on a Unix box as I type) I tend to advise people against using it for what I do (databases, mainly Oracle). No longer the benefits over windows it once had (because windows has caught up a lot and falling hardware costs means it's often cheaper to just throw a meatier server at the problem), but still comparatively fiddly from a technical POV.
Old 01-02-07, 01:49 PM   #5
Grinch

Ubuntu link
Old 01-02-07, 01:52 PM   #6
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Linux/Unix: "Less of an Operating System. More of a Religion."

Even though it's improving all the time, (and indeed, I'm working on a Unix box as I type) I tend to advise people against using it for what I do (databases, mainly Oracle). No longer the benefits over windows it once had (because windows has caught up a lot and falling hardware costs means it's often cheaper to just throw a meatier server at the problem), but still comparatively fiddly from a technical POV.
True, yes... But I still find it **** easier to us now, I was surprised how easy as a few years ago I tried and just couldn't be arsed.

I would say give it a go, the worst that is going to happen is you'll just put Windows back on.
Old 01-02-07, 02:06 PM   #7
Baph

As Grinch. Use the Ubuntu Live CD for a while. If you don't like it, throw the CD in the bin & forget about it. You'll still have Windows on the machine.

That would give experience at installing/configuring the box, but without the hassle of starting from scratch if you mess it up.
Old 01-02-07, 02:07 PM   #8
Grinch

Oh and they will send you a copy of it in the post for free if you can't download it. 5 copies, 4 to give to your mates if you like it.
Old 01-02-07, 02:36 PM   #9
600+

I'm fine installing it as I have a spare hard drive to run linux on

I think my main "concern" is to be able to have a usable GUI similar to Windows to assist me in transition and at the same time learn obviously a bit more about the console.

Typical things I do is Internet, Install applications, download stuff, kind of the advanced Windows user if makes any sense to you all

I think the must is the very very friendly GUI

At the moment my home PC has WINDOWS XP and Mandrake on, but if Ubuntu is more user friendly for us newbs I'll put that instead of mandrake
Old 01-02-07, 02:38 PM   #10
OldBoy

I have used Mandrake for a number of years and have now got Ubuntu on a dual boot system with Windoze XP. Ubuntu boots up much faster than XP and updated it on line to the latest version without to much trouble but still haven’t got my Wacom graphics tablet working yet.
Someone said Linux is getting like Windoze and Windoze is getting like Linux, have an idea that this new Windoze Vista stuff is more secure like Linux.
Looking forward to the next version of Ubuntu, won't be getting Vista.