SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-04-10, 11:09 AM   #1
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default engine head removal

yeah i know this isn't a car forum but im complete stumped

changing the head gasket on my astra...... I've done pretty much every thing haynes says to release the head from the block but i cant get it off, the LH side (if stood over the front facing the car) of the block is free as i can lift that side ever so slightly (literally 2mm) and water drips out ect its fairly loose but the RH side of the block is completely stuck and wont budge yet i cant see anything holding it which has left me , i know the dowels are meant to stick but this is more than that i've really tugged at it and got nothing

any idea's?

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 11:26 AM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: engine head removal

auxiliary belt is off, cambelt is off, cam followers are off, rocker cover/top cap is off, head bolts cracked in sequence and removed, exhaust manifolds disconnected, sparkies out, tubes and hose disconnected

but something on the left is holding the head on

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 25-04-10, 11:43 AM   #3
mjc

no silly little extra head bolts anywhere? when i did my mates gpz head yesterday there were two small head bolts in addition to the 8 main ones. one was external on the inlet side, the other was inside the head hidden behind the cam chain guide blade on the exhaust side.

i dont know owt about cars...
Old 25-04-10, 12:15 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
no silly little extra head bolts anywhere? when i did my mates gpz head yesterday there were two small head bolts in addition to the 8 main ones. one was external on the inlet side, the other was inside the head hidden behind the cam chain guide blade on the exhaust side.

i dont know owt about cars...

i've done it now....... would you believe it was a pi$$y little bracket on the top of the alternator and ONE!! of three bolts left holding the engine mount lug onto the block that was hidden behind a cambelt pully

now got the head off but i'll do my back if i lift it as i have no engine hoist, i think i'll celebrate with a "sport of lunch and afternoon tea what what"

and wait for my hired help to arrive and help me lift

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis