SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2008 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2008 SV650.org's annual rideout.

Old 15-04-08, 08:49 PM   #11
orose

Default Re: Pennine Massive Ride In

Just to add to what Drew said (because my grandparents live in his neck of the woods):

A38 Mansfield - Derby - Lichfield is quite good, plus the services on there didn't suffer from inflation like the motorway ones when I went to the NEC.
A452 + A46 to Stratford gives you an opportunity to have a comfort break and do some sightseeing, and also avoids Birmingham and Coventry.
You should be able to then continue on the A46 and A38 on the top side of Bristol as Drew is suggesting.
Old 15-04-08, 09:01 PM   #12
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Or get to Bristol, get on the M32 through the centre of it then get on the A37, the a quick hop down the A303, take the first signposted exit for Yeovil / Ilchester, follow the road for Yeovil for a couple of miles and you'll be at the campsite.

The A39 from bridgwater will Bring you out in Illchester to though.. but taking the A37 pretty much avoids the M5..

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 09:20 PM   #13
pmapp
Mega Poster

Was just looking at the A37.

When I get chance, I'll so another route. Or if anyone else fancies it

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-08, 01:19 AM   #14
timwilky
Mega Poster

look you lot I went down south once and afterwards some cider head said I had to get married or his daughter would not be best pleased.

so never went back. So why would I want to square off my rubber going back down south the boring way.

So please give me suggestions how to get to the AR/AE the day before that ensure true profiling of expensive multi compound rubber. or if a tad over exuberant. Can the locals advise before hand where good rubber may be sourced at affordable prices. (Thinking of Jelster stuck in Middleton in nowhere with a duff tyre in the last N/s)
Old 16-04-08, 07:53 AM   #15
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
So please give me suggestions how to get to the AR/AE the day before that ensure true profiling of expensive multi compound rubber. or if a tad over exuberant. Can the locals advise before hand where good rubber may be sourced at affordable prices. (Thinking of Jelster stuck in Middleton in nowhere with a duff tyre in the last N/s)
Theres a place in Yeovil that does tyres at a good price. I think they do ride in ride out, but I will double check. I've bought tyres from them and taken loose wheels in for puncture repairs. I'm also on good terms with the local Suzuki dealer, they also do tyres but are'nt as cheap.

I'm quite happy to point people in the right direction should they get down here and find that they need tyres or I'll take you to the tyre place.

Personally as I've said above get to Bristol, and come down the A37 to Yeovil. If your coming down the M5 watch for coppers on the Section from J17 to J23.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-08, 09:25 AM   #16
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
If your coming down the M5 watch for coppers on the Section from J17 to J23.
Your ok they seem to ignore you, it's just me they don't like on that stretch of road
Old 16-04-08, 12:56 PM   #17
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
(Thinking of Jelster stuck in Middleton in nowhere with a duff tyre in the last N/s)
And I got hammered last year in Middleham for a replacement rear
Old 16-04-08, 06:58 PM   #18
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Pmapp....wheres Wakefield....lol
Nah, kiddin mate, but we were talkin of leaving here around 11ish, Im Indoors is pretending hes not coming, cause his SRX will blow up going that far, and, hes being a stingy git cause his Raptors off road.
I presume YC will venture down with me, van't say for certain, but for me the quickest most direct route would be preferable for me, so i shall keep an eye on what you all organise....
I can handle a motorway for hours and don't get bored by it TBH, and I think twisty scenic roads will delay my beer consumtion time...lol

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-08, 01:19 PM   #19
Mousetrapper

Mrs. M and I will be making our way down (either with or without car) on the Friday, I'll be happy to follow anyone going that way just as long as I don't have to navigate!!
Old 17-04-08, 02:17 PM   #20
pmapp
Mega Poster

OK then.........

How does 11:30 sound to meet at point A on the map - Wooly Edge Services?

If folk are wanting a bit o' brekkie then be there earlier, so we can be looking to make a move for 11:45.

I'm still guessing anywhere upto 6 hours for the total journey, so I don't want to be setting off any later than that. The final route is still to be decided I guess, I've redone the last leg (see link below) - so as to drop off the M5 at Bristol and then down the A37. No real time difference, according to Mr Google.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,10.239258&z=7

Hows that sounding Dizzy?
Mousetrapper - you're more than welcome, along with Mrs Mouse. Just be aware, that if it rains, you might have 15 of us crammed in the back of your car

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote