SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 11-08-14, 10:24 PM   #1
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Snetterton yesterday

I think I forgot to mention this one in advance. Did Snetterton yesterday, despite mother nature's best efforts to ruin it. Thunder, lightning, torrential rain, raging torrents flowing down the pitlane, fire lane, and occasionally through the garages.

I rather enjoyed it. http://youtu.be/hhZubEWrP_A?t=2m37s
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 01:56 AM   #2
Ginja_Joe

Default Re: Snetterton yesterday

That looks like a quick run despite the rain. What tyres was that on?
Old 12-08-14, 09:02 AM   #3
ogden
Mega Poster

http://www.metzeler.com/site/uk/prod...etec-Rain.html

They're deeply, deeply awesome.
Old 12-08-14, 10:36 AM   #4
Foot

How much did the trackday cost you?
Plus is there any way you can switch days if the weathers awful?
I'll be doing my first trackday next summer when I have funding (cannot wait!). I'm not overly confident in the rain and would be far too worried to bin a bike I cannot afford to fix.

Great video too !
Old 12-08-14, 10:44 AM   #5
ogden
Mega Poster

£129 for the trackday (plus van hire,fuel, consumables, and a B&B the night before)

It's an outdoor activity, so bad weather is just a risk you have to live with. The trackday organiser won't give you a credit note or refund just because you're worried about getting damp. I have had days cancelled before, but only because the circuit was covered in several inches of snow, but I've also done days where it's snowing while I'm out on track.

The best way to get confident in the rain is to ride in the rain. There's no substitute. You need the right rubber though - score a spare set of wheels and some race wets, and you'll be amazed what you can do. Grip-wise, it's almost like riding in the dry. Right up to the point you fall off, anyway... http://youtu.be/jzNTNCTADWA?t=6m47s
Old 12-08-14, 11:00 AM   #6
Foot

That was not enjoyable to watch haha!
That price is really good, especially since you hired a van. Do you just use your gsxr as a trackbike?
Just recently got new tyres and I've noticed the grip difference hugely, active counter steering is a dream and the whole bike will flicks exactly to where I want it - chicken strips are half the size too, about 4mm now, but I don't even feel like I'm pushing my cornering at all! But the trouble is.. how can you gauge how grippy your tyres are?
They seem to feel fine until you're sliding on your ****.. or if they slide out, which is usually followed by more arze sliding
Old 12-08-14, 11:17 AM   #7
ogden
Mega Poster

I dunno, I still enjoy watching it. I maintain that the only thing more fun than going fast on a bike is still going fast on your backside after falling off. Gets the old heart pumping.

Overall cost breakdown for a trackday is usually about £130 for the day itself, £80 for a van, £70 for diesel, £30 for unleaded, £40 for a B&B, and consumables. Brake pads usually last 3 or 4 days, tyres rather longer - maybe 10 from a rear and 15 from a front. The real expense comes from the go-faster bits. Once you start pushing the bike, you find bits that need a tweak, and as the shopping list grows, so does the cost.

I only use the GSXR on track now - it's just too quick to risk using on the road. I only have it because when I bought my KTM I couldn't quite bring myself to not have a bike in the garage that'd do 186mph.

It's hard to tell exactly how much grip there is at the front, because when it goes you're screwed. You can tell when it's on the verge of locking under braking though, as it starts to skip over the tarmac. The front rarely lets go before the back though, and the back rarely lets go suddenly - you'll usually get little slides when tapping on the power, which give plenty of warning (if you know what to look for). Riding in the wet is all about being smooth and being confident, and one leads to the other. And if you do fall off, it's slippery so it doesn't hurt so much.
Old 12-08-14, 11:30 AM   #8
Foot

Ah I thought you meant the cost included those other things.. thinking back now that would be ridiculously cheap.
I'm honestly not that daft.
Yeah I've felt the front skip and was sure it was just on the verge of locking. Locked the front before, eased off the brake and then braked back again which worked out fine and very predictable. Same with the back sliding, had it slide in wet or on a bit gravel a couple of times but it's a predictable movement and the bike sorts itself out (these were both low speeds though).
So if I were to use my road bike for the track, would it be best to do things like replace the brake pads before the trackday or have the need of replacing them afterwards? Same with tyres..?
Old 12-08-14, 11:37 AM   #9
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
So if I were to use my road bike for the track, would it be best to do things like replace the brake pads before the trackday or have the need of replacing them afterwards? Same with tyres..?
You're unlikely to destroy either a set of pads or a set of tyres in one day. If they're already seriously worn, consider replacing beforehand. If not, maybe take a spare set of pads with you just in case - I've had to change pads between sessions a few times, but only because I try to avoid throwing away perfectly good pads any earlier than necessary.

If the bike's in a good, roadworthy condition, you can just ride to the track, do six sessions, and ride home. Novices, inters, fast group, makes no difference.
Old 12-08-14, 11:47 AM   #10
Foot

Good to hear, thanks for the replies. Now to wait till I get the opportunity to get on a track!