SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-02-09, 02:58 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Red face memories

following a conversation with a friend, got me thinking.

I find myself more and more retreating into a world of my past life, bringing up an image of a bike ride across the alps, a bike meet in the 70's or trips to different countries, people ,places, a body that worked, youth, makes me smile, thankfully that still works.

Perhaps I have more time than most or less reason to contenplate the here and now, who knows.

just wondering is it an age thing, or injury thing, or just me .

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-09, 03:01 PM   #2
DanAbnormal

Default Re: memories

A bit of all three I'd say Mr Rictus. Memories are funny things, they comfort us yet was the reality of that time and place as enchanting as our mind makes it?
Old 27-02-09, 03:07 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Hmmm hard one to answer, although having revisited a few of the places they have lost a great deal of the charm they once held, and of course people of a time and place can't be replicated.

I done most of the european superbike rounds back in the 80's and it was nothing like it is today that's for sure.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 27-02-09, 03:10 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

That's why I hold memories so dear. Nothing can recreate those exact circumstances that made a situation so memorable. For example, me and my lovely wife got married in Novemeber 2006 in Barbados and 25 of our friends/family came with us. It was the best 3 weeks of my life and there was talk recently of going back. I think it would almost take away from the wonderful memories to go back and it certainly would not be as we remembered it. Maybe not, maybe I'm just a bit soft in the head these days.
Old 27-02-09, 03:12 PM   #5
sam_p2000

Even at my age (22) in a stable relationship of 4 years with a carreer, there are songs, places and people who make me smile about my mid teenage years.

I long to be able to have the wreckless fun we did on scramblers in local woods, camping in strange places with nothing but a mates paintball gun and a pair of walkie talkies to keep us entertained. Attempting to 'race' eachother and other bikes/cars on our mopeds, and wasted afternoons in the sun on half college days.

Its not an age thing, it is in my opinion one of the greatest gifts and signs that you have enjoyed those moments. A reminder that life is there to be lived and made the most of each day! Ooh how profound!
Old 27-02-09, 03:14 PM   #6
Dappa D

mark...im 27....have a job, bike, lovely mrs, wicked 10 month old son and pretty much all good.....

i still sometime remember my years working in cyprus and italy and find myself wanting to be back there.....even tho im totally contented now....memories are great..just dont stop making new ones!
Old 27-02-09, 03:15 PM   #7
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
....memories are great..just dont stop making new ones!
what a sickening cliché !!

but absolutely 100% correct tho
Old 27-02-09, 03:28 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
just dont stop making new ones!
perhaps that's it, my passport is 11 years out of date,although I've applied for a new one, and I live a fairly enclosed life these days, everyday is hard work and I'm tired, brief things come along I enjoy and if it wasn't for bikes I'd be up a clock tower with a snipers rifle like a shot...

maybe being told what you can manage and actually living it takes more time

Having been goal driven all my life I find it extremely difficult to except my current limitations.
Old 27-02-09, 03:33 PM   #9
Dappa D

when that passport arrives mate just go somewhere...anywhere abroad...europes easy...dont know ur situation but if its with a mrs or without, if its for 2 weeks or 2 days just get out there and do something...i know its easily said but thats what id do....AR's not tooooo far away in the grand scheme of things!
Old 27-02-09, 03:35 PM   #10
Kate Moss

Im looking forward to making new memories. I seem to focus on the bad ones and it's about time I made some happy ones.

Although my short term memory has been really bad lately....

what was the question again??!!

With so much cr*p in the world, i wouldn't blame anyone for reminissing about happer times.