SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-02-14, 09:44 PM   #11
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Top Gear is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFridge View Post
Best you don't watch it then. I thought it was pretty funny tonight, personally
I don't, the last episode i watched was the American trip in the cheap cars they did. I prefer old top gear not the staged idiocy that goes on now.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 08:24 AM   #12
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Disappointing... it's gotten far too OTT on the ridiculous staged events that clearly haven't happened
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 08:34 AM   #13
Skip
Mega Poster

Andy Wilman was on Radio 2 the other day and although I missed it apparently they think up things to do and base it around "Would a 9 year old enjoy this?"

I found last night just a bit too silly and as always I recorded it so I could FFWD through the SIARPC...
Old 03-02-14, 11:40 AM   #14
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I found last night just a bit too silly and as always I recorded it so I could FFWD through the SIARPC...
Yup, I cut out all the studio carp as well. Knocks it down to about 30 mins which is about right
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 12:33 PM   #15
cb1000rsteve

The ending last night was rubbish. Nova on its side was amusing like, but blowing the cars up was ridiculous
Old 03-02-14, 03:42 PM   #16
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
I thought it was all just a bit silly and not funny at all. The format feels tired, same overworked jokes, and the challenge now is pretty much the whole show with the 'star' lap is just an advert for whatever film, book or album they want to plug to a huge audience.
Agreed.I watched it for about twenty minutes and then got bored with it and turned it off.Did it get any better?I dont really care.Its a tired format been flogged to death.
Old 03-02-14, 03:48 PM   #17
SV650S_DUB

As others have pointed out TopGear is almost all about the spectacle of BIG entertainment. With decent budgets, good humour, tight scripting and capable presenters the show has provided some great laughs and brilliant footage of cars being enjoyed all around the globe.

However it seems the pudding is all too often grossly over egged in recent episodes. Yes we all know it's shot to plot, but there's no attempt to even feign impromptu moments or ad libbed segments. It feels, to me anyway, that the quality of the programme has tailed away markedly over the past few seasons.
I thought last nights programme was a fine example of what the show can do when it's misfiring. The highs aren't so frequent and the lows too commonplace it seems.
Old 03-02-14, 07:11 PM   #18
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rsteve View Post
The ending last night was rubbish. Nova on its side was amusing like, but blowing the cars up was ridiculous

without the blowing up cars it was entertaining.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 10:58 AM   #19
ClunkintheUK

I've found in the last couple of series that there is an episode or two of d1cking about on something kinda funny but not really. Like the hovercar last year. I didn't find that particularly funny or informative. but there is usually a special, which they are very good at. The hill climb stuff and vinyl wrap stuff was cool this week, the jokes about moustaches were unoriginal and tedious.

I just rack this episode up as the rubbish they need to put in to fill out their 6 week slot to fit in with other scheduling.
Old 04-02-14, 11:15 AM   #20
SvNewbie

I'm not normally one to jump on the bandwagon and criticize these things, but that episode was crap. I know they are about entertainment and can deal with a few scripted parts. But buying three cheap old hot-hatches and ****ing about does not make a whole hours worth of entertainment.

They didn't even bother to have a stunt driver flip the Nova, just turned it over off camera. In the old days when something was scripted it at least involved so much effort and planning that you were too busy laughing to care.