SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2009 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2009 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 12-08-09, 12:27 PM   #51
Von Teese

Default Re: Thank you from the AR09 Dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Boxers are lovely dogs but daft as hell.......I think you have to get a breed you both love and the best way to learn about different breeds and their requirements/suitability is to call the different breed associations and ask for advice.

Collies are amazing and incredibly easy to train, so I'd automatically say to get a collie, but they are very demanding in terms of exercise and need for mental stimulation.

l
+1 Boxers are MENTAL, every single one Ive met has left me exhausted afterwards and when I was doing dog behaviour they were one of our most common 'customers'.

Collies = Lots of energy, need masses of training but good if you start out as you intend to go on.

Rescue dogs come with their own set of issues....can be trying but rewarding as long as you dont end up with an extremely difficult one, but then any rescue rehoming something difficult usually looks for homes where the owners are very experienced or at home all day.

Labs and retrievers are nice friendly dogs, usually good with other pets and children.

I would recommend 'The dog listener' and the 'Practical dog listener' to anyone , Jan Fennell is one of the best dog behaviourists ever, she thinks like a dog and that's what its all about. Read her books some bits seem whacky but they work.
Old 12-08-09, 12:41 PM   #52
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

I have a Jan Fennel book if you want me to send it to you.

My ex and his wife got a boxer pup a month before Dan and I got our pups. He was £800 KC registered, they've now spent over £3k in vets bills and he's crazy. Pete is not very good with dogs....he prefers to give them a hard smack or throw things at them when they are naughty, so he's going to end up with probably a fear aggressive dog in a few years......funnily enough, a bit like Stig was!

I think the most important piece of advise I can give you will be the hardest you can both carry out and that is to ignore your new dog/puppy as much as possible for the first few days. It's hard, but means they are less likely to suffer seperation anxiety and it allows them time to build their own confidence in the new surroundings. Crowding, cuddling and playing with a new dog/puppy, can actually be quite stressful for them in the early days. Save the cuddles for the evening and let the dog/puppy come to you for them. Every 3rd time it comes, turn it away so it doesn't learn it can demand your attention.
Old 12-08-09, 12:43 PM   #53
Von Teese

Plus Boxers have aortic stenosis, and they faint...every vets nightmare, cant use Acepromazine on them ..bah!
Old 12-08-09, 07:17 PM   #54
MrsT

Cheers gals - so much interesting and important info to consider - Grunty I would be very greatful if you could send the book - I will PM you with address - thanks so much - should be helpful.
My friends boxers are a little crazy but once they have said hello they calm down and really like to be cuddled in the evenings.
Collies are sounding promising!!! I agree about the Jack Russel thing - I used to think they were yappy but Squirrel is gorgeous - guess its the same with all breeds. I expect they all have bad traits and good.
I will keep you posted as to the progress.
Old 13-08-09, 07:50 PM   #55
TazDaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsT View Post
nah - its just that we have no outside space at mo - in a flat and wanna have a garden for it to run around in - we r thinking more husky or malamute at mo. Any advice on breeds?
Springer Spaniels are damn good companions. Slightly mental but I've not had or met a dog since which had as much personality as my old Springer.

They do need walking quite regularly though as they have very high energy levels!
Old 13-08-09, 08:19 PM   #56
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

MrsT...the book will be in the post tomorrow!
Old 14-08-09, 05:15 AM   #57
Von Teese

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazDaz View Post
Springer Spaniels are damn good companions. Slightly mental but I've not had or met a dog since which had as much personality as my old Springer.

They do need walking quite regularly though as they have very high energy levels!
+1

Springers have masses of love, devotion and energy.
Mr VT wanted one but we have our two already.
His uncle in St Albans breeds them, we went down to visit a couple of months ago...here are the 'oooh aaaaah' pics

Old 14-08-09, 07:22 AM   #58
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Awww Jen...I want one!!!
Old 14-08-09, 10:57 AM   #59
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

puppies are too cute. We used to have a spniel when we were kids...until someone knicked it one day
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-09, 04:09 PM   #60
MrsT

Grunty - Thanks - look forward to recieving the book!

Jen - Puppies are so lovely!!

Can you tell me - being a little thick - whats the difference between a springer and a cocker spaniel. I did this thing online where you answered questions and it told you what dog would suit - and one of the dogs it came up with was a Cocker spaniel.

Rich now keen on a samoyed - or an akita!! I think he like the big ones!

Hope all our furry friends are well and enjoying the sun xxx