SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-17, 08:28 PM   #1
revjim2020

Default SV engine noise...ideas???

ok guys, any help is appreciated. I have a few sv's. This one is a 2001 SV650. It is high miles and was getting a slight ticking noise compared to my others so I took it to a shop for a valve adjustment. upon return it was WAAAY louder. (say like 4x).. It sounded like something was bent badly. This is in the front cylinder only. sounds like metal tapping....like a car with a bent pushrod or something. I took it to another shop, who said all valves are within spec. He did some visual checks and found nothing. It has good compression, power is fine. The tech said he isn't sure what it could be but will be glad to pull it apart for 500 or more..... I am sure the first shop probably damaged something and re adjusted , but any ideas what it is?
Old 14-11-17, 10:02 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV engine noise...ideas???

its a jammed cam chain adjuster, common fault. you need a special shim key to service them or when replacing the valve shims (take the cams out). common upgrade is to put pointy ones in.

the other i have found that makes curvy's rattle is them needing the carb vacuum balanced.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 10:04 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I'd take a look at the cam chain tensioner. They do sometimes tick on curvys, but without any ill effect. If yours is worse since the shop played with it they may have taken it out and failed to replace it correctly. Take it out yourself and reseat it properly.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 10:06 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Beat me to it Lance!
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 11:43 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
you need a special shim key to service them
Not in my experience. You will just need a small flat blade screwdriver. The key is if you wish to "lock" the tensioner in the withdrawn position, I've never needed to do this.

I'm not sure what is meant by "service them" either? They are a single unit with no replaceable parts as far as I am aware. Essentially all you can do is wind out the adjuster which is needed when installing.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote