SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-09-10, 09:54 PM   #21
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bar conversion with pics

oh ok thanks

I'm trying to get a naked loom
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 10:04 PM   #22
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I could try to get a naked loom, but given that I am fairly experienced in splicing, I might give that a go instead. The biggest problem I have is that I am not working at the moment, so have just saved up for a long time, just to get this far has taken a year.

Thankfully, I have a new job now and am just waiting to start so I can start earning and then start buying some trick parts. Hmm, what can I get in Purple anodised?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 06:23 PM   #23
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Hmm, what can I get in Purple anodised?
my oil filler cap is purple anodised... it's awful
Old 09-09-10, 12:18 AM   #24
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Today has been fraught with frustration. I ordered some custom made throttle cables from a local shop and I was promised that they would be ready by 11AM. At half past three, I gave in and phoned them only to be told that he was just starting to make them up. I picked them and got home at four, just in time to find the new exhaust for the XJ (a steal on E-Bay at less than a third of retail!), so that job had to be done first.

I have never fitted an exhaust before and having multiple header pipes (all in lovely stainless) to knock together was an ordeal I do not wish to repeat ever again! Finally I got the XJ finished and then discovered that the battery was flat.

So thankfully it was on with the SV, my precious little baby and with the combination of the haynes manual and a head torch I could see where the throttle cables go and with my delicate girly (yeah, right!) hands (and horribly broken nails now) I managed to get my hand in through the frame and around the throttle mechanism so that I could fit the new cables. Only it is not that easy and was an actual Pain in the posterior.

So with perseverance and a lot of quite strong swearing, that even caused my friend Harvey to wander away with curly hair, I managed at last to get the throttle cables into place, only to discover that the chap who made had got his measurements wrong and the inner wire was two short and had not even enough free play to load into the twist grip mechanism. I was not impressed, but being a Mountain bike mechanic I knew a handy cheat and just unwound the out cable enough to give me the clearance I needed. From there I nailed on the air box and put it all back together.

I am not happy with the throttle cables though and despite them being new, they feel stiff and catchy, so I am most unimpressed, so will probably have to get a new go faster cable quite soon.

Edit:- This later proved to be how I had fitted them and how I had slightly damaged them. Later repaired and continue to work perfectly as of 2013

Anyway, Agnes the XJ is being Mot'ed tomorrow, once the battery is charged up! As for Silvie, I will take her for a blast tomorrow and see how she performs. If all goes well, we could have both bikes at Bike Night tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
my oil filler cap is purple anodised... it's awful
Swap you for my plain boring black one!
Quote:

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 03-04-13 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 08:44 AM   #25
Matts-Yokes

We are waiting for more cables to be delivered from our manufacturer. If i had some i would send them you with the usual SVORG discount
Old 09-09-10, 08:50 AM   #26
Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post

I am not happy with the throttle cables though and despite them being new, they feel stiff and catchy, so I am most unimpressed, so will probably have to get a new go faster cable quite soon.
When you unwound the outer cable and cut it did you make sure the cut was such that it wasn't catching on the inner cable? If you cut it with side cutters it can leave a tag that can abraid on the inner. Best to bend this out slightly so it doens't foul.

I know this because I've had this happen a lot making mountain bike cables.

I'm presuming here that you bought lined cables and not the cheap and nasty unlined ones that always feel scratchy.

C

Last edited by Berlin; 09-09-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 09:04 AM   #27
zunkus

Purple Bars??? WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! ...and they go with what?
Sry no likey, but then again it's your bike. I'd preferred black, chrome or silver to match your bike more.
Old 09-09-10, 09:19 AM   #28
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Thank you for your input Berlin, I too have spent a lot of time working on Mountain bikes, which is how I knew that I could do the unwinding bit. Made sure that the cables was cut smooth. However, the guy who made the cables used cheap out cable, so it is not very good and is tight in the lining. It may well bed in, but last night I was too tired to do any more.

As for you Zunkus, how very dare you!
I am most gratified that you reacted in such a way though. I have small purple painted flashes on the side panels as part of a tattoo design. This bike is certainly more my taste than any one else's!
Quote:

Old 09-09-10, 02:51 PM   #29
zunkus

Cheers Jayneflakes! I say it how I see it! Again, everyone to his own...
Old 10-09-10, 08:21 AM   #30
Matts-Yokes

Jayne, i have 1 set of cables instock if you want them. I had a look through some boxes of cables yesterday and found them. Phone me if you want them, they are excellent quality.