SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-07, 08:12 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default Oxford products

i got given some hotgrips for christmas, they were easy enough to install but the controller doesn't work on them. Phoned oxford - they were no help. Warranty is only valid with a 'dealer stamp'. What a waste of £50. It seems this is a common problem with the oxford ones, is there no quality control?! i also used oxford panniers for the first time from newcastle to manchester on monday, the weather was horrendous so i put the waterproof covers on them and they were ripped to shreds within minutes! letting the water in the top and collecting it in the bottom ruining everything i took home, and was given for christmas.
come on oxford "we don't deal with the public" isn't an adequate response.
Old 10-01-07, 08:33 PM   #2
Kate

Take the grips back to the shop they were bought from, if they are faulty they have to give your money back or replace 'em.
Old 10-01-07, 08:38 PM   #3
thor

Yeah, the control boxes are ****e.
Old 10-01-07, 10:34 PM   #4
Grinch

Sale of goods act states that the warranty period is with the place of purchase and not the manufacture. So basically you have 2 years to replace a faulty item of satisfactory quality and that is fit for its purpose. So if the control box for heated grips can't cope with the winter, then its not your fault.
Also the shop can not imply ignorance as the 1979 Sales of Goods Act imposes strict liability on retailers.
At the end of the day the shop will just send it back to Oxford, they don't expect to deal with you unless you bought direct.
Also you'll need a receipt, or a credit/debit card statement showing the purchase. These are both valid proofs of purchase.
Old 10-01-07, 10:47 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

yeah, i got them through the internet, so waiting for a response on that. Really don't want to have to unplug the whole thing from the bike though
Old 10-01-07, 10:47 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

-plus of course the new grips are glued on
Old 11-01-07, 07:13 AM   #7
RingDing

I emailed Oxford when the controller failed on my Hot Grips and they swapped it for a replacement when I enclosed a copy of the receipt. Since then they've swapped it again when the replacement failed. They are known for packing up, the variable resistor inside the control box has a steel wiper plate and gradually corrodes (bloke at work took his apart when it failed) as they have a tendancy to fill up with water.

I have to say, although the design is terrible, their customer service was good to me and it could be an excellent product if they replaced one component.

Try email them?

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 08:53 AM   #8
thor

I tried emailing them about mine and got told to talk to the dealer. I don't have the receipt anymore and my experiences with dealers is that they would tell me to shove off.

In the end, Northy sent me his old one. I took it apart and made a decent job with the glue gun. I recommend anyone who has one to do the same, and glue up the connectors to the grips (so water doesn't get in from the outside).

My old box had corroded so bad it fell apart in my hands. I'd left the bike standing outside for only two months (previously it had been in a garage it's whole life).
Old 11-01-07, 08:56 AM   #9
hovis

just out of intrest which control box have you got?
Old 11-01-07, 08:57 AM   #10
thor

The old (****e) one.