SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-08, 01:27 PM   #1
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Brand new SV650 Sport K8

Hi all...

New to the forum (although been lurking for a month or so).

Picked up my brand new SV650 sport K8 (so full-faired) on Friday...back into bikes after an 18 year lay off!

Yes, the wife has finally relented and now the kids are a bit older (i.e. answering back) - I've taken the plunge.

A mate had a yellow SV (half faired) about 5/6 years ago and I've liked them since, always thought I'd get one when I got back onto 2 wheels.

Anyway, great forum, I've already got loads of info from snooping around.

Interested in any advice (similar to in the other Brand new SV thread) in terms of mods etc. Ideally I'll get a decent sounding can soon, but reckon crash bungs are next on the list, as well as love handles for the missus because although she's been dead against me getting the bike for years now, after 1 trip out on it on Friday, she's been on at me to take her out on it all weekend!

I'm booked on for some ROSPA advanced training towards the end of the month as it seemed like a good way to get some more experience (19 years since my test) and also iron out any of my old bad habits before I had the bike too long.

The guy running it was featured in the latest issue of Bike (they do a 5 day trip to IOM). Incidentally, I signed up for a subscription to Bike mag and got a free Oxford Hardcore chain/lock (almost covers the price of the subscription!).

Other bargains have been a VERY cheap HJC FG-15 lid from Nightingales (eBay shop) as well as an Oxford deluxe cover with free Oxford disk lock (again from Nightingales).

Not sure I'll be on the forum a lot, but wanted to say hi and comment on a great site.

Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 01:29 PM   #2
MR UKI (1)

Default Re: Brand new SV650 Sport K8

Great choice of bike fella. Welcome to the site, once here no-one ever leaves
Old 07-07-08, 04:14 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Welcome to the site and of course to the SV650, welcome back to biking too mate!

The ROSPA (or any of them really) will be good for you, especially after jumping back on a bike after so long.
Old 07-07-08, 04:25 PM   #4
Sosha

Bienvenue.

Welcome to the hotel california.
Old 07-07-08, 07:17 PM   #5
sv_rider1990

Id reccomend ROSPA im 17 and got silver so shows you the standard of the observers and the standard of training you get
Old 07-07-08, 07:36 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_rider1990 View Post
Id reccomend ROSPA im 17 and got silver so shows you the standard of the observers and the standard of training you get
A poor standard as they'll let anyone pass???

Nah, only joking mate! ROSPA is good, they may teach you thinks you may already know but like all the other types of courses you will always walk away with some valuable information. The best form of training is experience!
Old 07-07-08, 07:52 PM   #7
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

hiya mate and welcome to the site. I signed upto the site by random and ended up buying an sv - now I'm addicted...

mods:
End can = sounds great but that's as far as it goes (I've got a beowulf stubby end can)
Full exhaust system = a bit more power and noise
Double bubble screen = less wind buffering upto 70mph and anything above that, you don't have to stick your chin on the fuel tank...
bungs - good idea, quite easy if you have a mate to help you since fitting requires 2 of each tools (i.e. 2 x sockets to undo the engine mounting bolt, 2 same sizes spanners to undo other bolts through the frame).... if you don't have a mate to help, post a shout in your local area on the forum and someone will (most likely) offer to help you out
hugger - goes over your back wheel and stops road carp/chain lube fling hitting the underside of your bike. Looks smart too (colour coded or carbon effect are the general colours)
new bulbs - "see and be seen better than ever before" etc, new bulbs are a piece of pingle to fit (Look for any with "H4" fitting) I bought a pair of philips power extreme H4's for 23.95 from powerbulbs, if you spend over a tenner you get a free pair of "w5w" fitting blue tinted bulbs (the little sidelights at the upper corners of your headlights)...
fender extender (usually made by pyramid) is a bit of plastic designed to fit on the rear end of your front wheel's mud guard - stops crap hitting your downpipes/lower fairings.
tail tidy (a company called hamicad based in the midlands make them) replaces the plastic item which holds the number plate, indicators and numberplate light - is much smaller and made from metal - the standard item is massive and made from plastic (bit of a fashion thing since it doesn't really give you any performance advantage) it's a bit of a mission to fit since you have to completely strip down the rear end. Comes with instructions and is quite easy.
renthal bars - apparently they're a bit higher than standard ones so more comfort/less pressure on your wrists - guess they'll be a bit better quality than stock items but I've not had any experience with em.

I haven't dabbled in uprating the suspension or brakes but I'm considering it, things like replacing the pads and lines are meant to really sort the brakes out quite alot.

I've just bought a gel seat from america - should be easy to fit since I've just had the standard item off, just makes long distances more comfy

most of the above is just from memory and just general info, not fact or to be taken seriously - if anyone thinks I'm wrong/rubbish at advice, just correct me

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 10:19 PM   #8
"G"

well done , enjoy ..
Old 08-07-08, 07:31 AM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Thanks for the welcome.

Re: Paul the 6th, that list pretty much covers what I've been looking at fender extender, double bubble screen, hugger etc. Thanks for the tips on the bulbs as well, I had noticed the standard headlight was a bit dim.

One of the biggest reasons for getting the bike was for commuting. I work in Manchester but live nr. Southport and I spend most of the hour and a half it takes me to get to work, sitting on the M6, M62, M602 and then the roads into the city centre. I reckon the bike will cut down travelling time, be cheaper to run than a Renault Espace (Diesel) and avoid congestion charging when it comes in.

Plus as a bonus, I get to scratch around at weekends

All I need to do now is save some pennies to pay for the mods!
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 11:13 AM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

quality the m62 at our end is a mission as well near the leeds side of things

im in salford today funnily enough

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote