SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-19, 10:10 AM   #61
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: First world problems and bike dilemas

So:
1) more power than an SV
2) wind protection
3) no buffeting
4) fun
5) positive turn signal switch (?)
6) V twin preferred

The good news is we have a vehicle that fits your needs:

A Morgan 3 wheeler: https://www.morgan-motor.com/3-wheeler/

(and you can walk around with a waxed handlebar moustache and throw in an occasional "tally ho, chaps" when you're down the local)
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 11:04 AM   #62
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
So:
1) more power than an SV
2) wind protection
3) no buffeting
4) fun
5) positive turn signal switch (?)
6) V twin preferred

The good news is we have a vehicle that fits your needs:

A Morgan 3 wheeler: https://www.morgan-motor.com/3-wheeler/

(and you can walk around with a waxed handlebar moustache and throw in an occasional "tally ho, chaps" when you're down the local)
Lol. Problem solved, though filtering in traffic might be a challenge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 26-08-19, 10:22 AM   #63
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Strangley that is the only car I've ever wanted, apart from maybe an old mini as it's the only thing that will fit in our narrow 1970s garage.

I grew up in Malvern, home of the Morgan factory. Never liked the 4 wheelers though.
If I had one I'd want an old original one though, and they go for £80,000+. So unlikely to happen on my pocket money. There's a couple around there that I see about and they look and sound great with the V-Twin out front.

Anyway as far as being able to filter, commute, tour, corner, levitate etc and all at a cheap cheap price... I'm still on the lookout for the holy grail.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 10:26 AM   #64
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

John (admin) or anyone else who owns a VFR800 .. how do you get on with the linked brakes? Do you know what proportion one affects the other? I'm guessing the front lever doesn't slam on the rear brake with full force and visa versa, but does it proportionately? I can't find any info online about what ratio one affects the other?

I sat on one last weekend and felt very at home on it. But... the weight! Not sure how well I'd filter on it weight wise, but the bars aren't too wide being clip-ons (ish).
Old 26-08-19, 11:17 AM   #65
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
John (admin) or anyone else who owns a VFR800 .. how do you get on with the linked brakes? Do you know what proportion one affects the other? I'm guessing the front lever doesn't slam on the rear brake with full force and visa versa, but does it proportionately? I can't find any info online about what ratio one affects the other?

I sat on one last weekend and felt very at home on it. But... the weight! Not sure how well I'd filter on it weight wise, but the bars aren't too wide being clip-ons (ish).
The combined brakes are very subtle in my view. I'm not a heavy breaker but when I have had to brake hard the stopping power is impressive and I've never managed to activate the ABS. You do get less fork dive as I guess the rear brake pulls the rear of the bike down.

The front brake lever operates all three pistons on the right disc and two pistons on the left. The left caliper rotates and has a secondary master cylinder which operates one piston on the rear disc.

The rear brake lever operates two pistons on the rear and one piston on the left front.

So you still have two braking circuits and both have proportional control valves, though what the proportion is I don't know.

If you brake with the front only you'll still have most of the retardation on the front and vice versa with the rear.

As for the rest of the bike, well mine is 2006 and still looks good, it's true what they say about Honda build quality.

Its a good compromise between a sports bike and a tourer. It's not as nimble as an SV but I can ride it for hours in comfort whereas I had to stop on the SV after an hour for my bum to recover.

Some people hate the VTEC transition but I love it. The engine starts to howl and it just takes off, just like a power band on a two stroke. This occurs around 7k and you can easily drive below that most of the time if you want to as 80mph is around 6k in top.

I've got bar risers on mine for a slightly more relaxed ride but you can fit normal bars without having to hack the fairing.

Apparently the new model is even more refined. Have a think about the crossrunner too it's based on the vfr800

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 26-08-19 at 11:19 AM.
admin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 01:33 PM   #66
SV650rules
Mega Poster

My Brother has 1996 non-VTEC VFR750 ( carbed ) and also 1998 non-VTEC VFR800 ( injection ) and a few years ago his mate ( who had a VTEC VFR800 ) asked my brother if his bike was 'OK' as he felt it had little power low down and he kept stalling it, so they swapped bikes for a few miles and despite him riding the older carbed 750, which was 10 years older than his VTEC the bloke wanted to swap bikes there and then, and my brother said no way I have ridden your bike and agree with you - I stalled it nearly every junction until I learned to wind it up before feeding clutch in - I have had quite a few Honda VTEC cars, and I agree it is great when they get on the VTEC and the exhaust note hardens and they take off, but still not impressed with the power below about 2500 revs - but the top end more than makes up for it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 01:39 PM   #67
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
My Brother has 1996 non-VTEC VFR750 ( carbed ) and also 1998 non-VTEC VFR800 ( injection ) and a few years ago his mate ( who had a VTEC VFR800 ) asked my brother if his bike was 'OK' as he felt it had little power low down and he kept stalling it, so they swapped bikes for a few miles and despite him riding the older carbed 750, which was 10 years older than his VTEC the bloke wanted to swap bikes there and then, and my brother said no way I have ridden your bike and agree with you - I stalled it nearly every junction until I learned to wind it up before feeding clutch in - I have had quite a few Honda VTEC cars, and I agree it is great when they get on the VTEC and the exhaust note hardens and they take off, but still not impressed with the power below about 2500 revs - but the top end more than makes up for it.
There is a lack of flywheel effect but I've never had a problem with stalling. However there isn't that low down grunt you get with a V twin and it does seem happier if you keep above 3k

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 26-08-19, 02:45 PM   #68
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I just went to see a 2006 VFR. Listed as "full mot". Turns out that full mot was from two years ago. Hardly any miles put on it since 2014. 11,000 miles total which is very low for a VFR of that age. Most are around 30k now at least.Not sure if that's good or bad. Totally stock and asking a bit much for what I'd pay, but said he'd drop it £200 for a worn rear tyre and lack of current MOT.

I've also had an offer from someone quite far away for a 2006 VFR with 31k miles on it at quite a bargain of a price. But it would be buying unseen and getting a courier to collect.

Not sure what to do. I did have a short (albeit fairly slow) test on the one today to get a feel and the steering felt fairly heavy. The weight of the bike dissapeared a bit after I pulled away, but the steering didn't change much. I've heard that disappears when up to higher speed. Still unsure if I could have it as my one bike.
Old 26-08-19, 03:00 PM   #69
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I just went to see a 2006 VFR. Listed as "full mot". Turns out that full mot was from two years ago. Hardly any miles put on it since 2014. 11,000 miles total which is very low for a VFR of that age. Most are around 30k now at least.Not sure if that's good or bad. Totally stock and asking a bit much for what I'd pay, but said he'd drop it £200 for a worn rear tyre and lack of current MOT.

I've also had an offer from someone quite far away for a 2006 VFR with 31k miles on it at quite a bargain of a price. But it would be buying unseen and getting a courier to collect.

Not sure what to do. I did have a short (albeit fairly slow) test on the one today to get a feel and the steering felt fairly heavy. The weight of the bike dissapeared a bit after I pulled away, but the steering didn't change much. I've heard that disappears when up to higher speed. Still unsure if I could have it as my one bike.
The steering gets heavy when the front tyre is worn out, at least that's what I found running michelins. They square off. I've swapped to continental now. So it could be that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 26-08-19 at 03:01 PM.
admin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 03:08 PM   #70
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Rear tyre was an MOT advisory (2 years ago) and is very flatted off. The front looked ok, but he didn't check inflation and he has it standing in a shed at his mother's house and only starts it every few months. It's had 7 miles put on it since the last MOT two years ago? Bad idea?