SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-11-06, 04:22 PM   #1
keithd

Default We're wide open for attack....

Quote:

The Earth is wide open to alien attack, a former Government advisor has warned. Nick Pope said the department that formally investigated UFO sightings had closed down, meaning unexplained phenomena were not being probed. Mr Pope, who ran the Ministry of Defence UFO project from 1991 to 1994, said there had been a series of "highly credible" alien sightings and landings in the UK.

"The consequences of getting this one wrong could be huge," he said.

"If you reported a UFO sighting now, I am absolutely sure that you would just get back a standard letter telling you not to worry.

"Frankly we are wide open - if something does not behave like a conventional aircraft now, it will be ignored.

"The X-Files have been closed down."

Mr Pope said those working for the MoD UFO project spend their time releasing formerly classified documents in answer to Freedom of Information requests from the media or members of the public.

The UFO expert resigned from his MoD post at the Directorate of Defence Security this week.

He said there was no evidence of UFO hostile intent - but it could not be ruled out.

"There has got to be the potential for that and one is left with the uneasy feeling that if it turned out to be so, there is very little we could do about it," he said.

"If you believe these things are extra terrestrial craft then you cannot rule out that what is happening is some kind of covert reconnaissance."

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence insisted that all UFO sightings were investigated for "evidence to suggest that UK airspace has been compromised by hostile or unauthorised air activity".

She said: "Unless there is such evidence, the MoD doesn't attempt to positively identify what was seen."
smoke me a kipper
Old 10-11-06, 04:38 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Excellent... I saw a Whitehouse response once to a reported alien sighting, "Sources close to"... "If the aliens want to fly from star to star, crushing all before them, I doubt that the National Guard will make much difference."

I for one welcome our new alien overlords.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 04:42 PM   #3
Baph

I think that's taken from an ABC News interview way back in 2001, with a little bit of a modern update.

A few years back he was one of the guys a GCHQ that had a concience. For this he was given more red tape than an ISO9001.

He was involved in a pretty cloak & dagger department, but he was very open about it. However, saying that, he was actually working towards a good aim, he would repeatedly, publically dismiss reports (eg, by BBC Radio 4) because they used a specific subset of respondants, as opposed to an open forum.

He left Secretariat in '94, some say he was pushed, his carrer, sadly, was downhill from there in.

At one time he was quoted as saying “You simply can't do that. You have to have it one way or the other. And if, as governments consistently say when the politicians probe on this issue or when the media inquire, that there's really nothing to worry about, then okay, let's see all the data.” I don't think he'd of been in support of the whole WoMD thing, but that's another can of worms.

But yea, we're open to alien invasion, but it's more likely at this stage that we'll be invaded by Lebanon. IMO only.
Old 10-11-06, 04:59 PM   #4
Ping

*runs around in circles waving both arms and screaming*

Old 10-11-06, 05:17 PM   #5
Ed

The end of the world is nigh

The Jehovahs Witnesses are coming
Old 10-11-06, 05:20 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Two things are inevitable----Death and Taxes.I daresay the aliens will levy some big taxes before they kill us off.
Old 10-11-06, 06:44 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Two things are inevitable----Death and Taxes.I daresay the aliens will levy some big taxes before they kill us off.
Well ive heard that we can pay with body organs. And they dont have to be our own ones either
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 07:21 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

There's an organ in the church at the bottom of my road.Would they accept that?
Old 10-11-06, 08:19 PM   #9
Nick762

Death by Snoo-Snoo
Old 11-11-06, 06:46 AM   #10
Razor

Well, a change is as good as a holiday.