SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-19, 06:44 PM   #31
daktulos

Default Re: The Sat Nav minefield!

I've been using Waze (which was bought by Google). It has bike-specific routeing now (apparently) and seems to work. It uses the speed that other Waze and Google maps users are going at to determine the road speed, even if they're not navigating (it can also be set to sleep mode if you're paranoid).

I've used it with the phone in my pocket a number of times, and the instructions work well enough as long as you can judge distances. It can also be set to "bong" if you go more than 10% over the speed limit.

It did crash on me once, which was unfortunate, as I ended up going in a straight line for miles before I realised!

That said, Google Maps should be very much the same, but I much prefer the interface and instructions from Waze. Waze has additional community/gamify features which I've largely turned off. Thankfully you can!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 06:47 PM   #32
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I've been using Waze (which was bought by Google). It has bike-specific routeing now (apparently) and seems to work. It uses the speed that other Waze and Google maps users are going at to determine the road speed, even if they're not navigating (it can also be set to sleep mode if you're paranoid).

I've used it with the phone in my pocket a number of times, and the instructions work well enough as long as you can judge distances. It can also be set to "bong" if you go more than 10% over the speed limit.

It did crash on me once, which was unfortunate, as I ended up going in a straight line for miles before I realised!

That said, Google Maps should be very much the same, but I much prefer the interface and instructions from Waze. Waze has additional community/gamify features which I've largely turned off. Thankfully you can!
Is this off line?
Old 02-03-19, 06:51 PM   #33
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Is this off line?
As I understand it, you need a connection to plan a route, but then it has everything it needs for the route stored. You won't get any routeing updates and may get into trouble if you go off-route, but the basic navigation should work offline.

If you use Google Maps, you can pick an area (or several areas) to download and store on the phone. I think you can then use it offline, but again it won't know about traffic conditions.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 07:00 PM   #34
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Old thread bump... has anyone got any long term experience of Garmin Satnavs? Is the Zumo 660 still decent or have things got a lot better in the last couple of years?

I've been trying to use apps recently and not getting on great with them. Rever is the most promising but it doesn't do any rerouting if you make a mistake, instead making you do u-turns and carry on the exact planned route. Once thing I like about just using Google or Apple Maps is that they adjust on the fly, so you decide to veer off route and it reworks the route for you to take you back on at a different point, instead of insisting on u-turns.

I do like to rely on voice instructions rather than looking at a screen though, for safety reasons and also as I find a screen in front can take you away from the ride sometimes.
Yeah I've always had a Garmin of some sort. They haven't really changed in operation since I got my first in 2009 or so, just got flashier in features..

If it's a good deal and had has all the proper bits/cradle etc, go for it.. I do however enjoy the adventurous routing feature on occasion as it will plan bendies instead of borings, newer models again (I have a 345LM) have Spotify!

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 02-03-19 at 07:01 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 10:46 AM   #35
Bibio
Mega Poster

garmin = good but shizzy on screen road map

tomtom = confusing but good on screen road maps.

i personally use a "waterproofed" garmin car satnav and TYRE route planner. you can get waterproof cases.

be careful which garmin car nav you get as most only have a maximum of 30 waypoint for planning routes. personally i have never needed any more than that as i just split my routes if they are bigger.

smart phone mapping depends on having a connection and if your up north then its hit or miss.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 12:28 PM   #36
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
smart phone mapping depends on having a connection and if your up north then its hit or miss.
Yep that's why I asked "Is this off line?" also data in different countris can be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

i personally use a "waterproofed" garmin car satnav and TYRE route planner. you can get waterproof cases.
What maps are you using on Tyre now that Google maps is of no use ?.
Old 03-03-19, 09:03 PM   #37
Teejayexc

From another forum I frequent, similar question was asked....

For finding your way around from A-B, "Here WeGO" is free for Android/iPhone and allows you to download maps onto your phone for your various chosen countries. It can work completely offline too. But has no route import facilities. But it's free, so you could try it.

If route planning is required a website called "[a href="https://kurviger.de/en"]Kurviger.de[/a]" helps. Unlike MotoGoLoco / Tyre, it doesn't use Google Maps at its base so hasn't run into issue with Google of late. The website allows you then to export to your GPS.
There is an associated Kurviger Sat Nav phone app, which allows you to import routes - otherwise it does requires an internet connection to calculate a route. Again, maps can be downloaded onto the phone for the countries you require. A good option for following .gpx route files.

Whether you buy a TomTom, Garmin or install an app that allows importing of routes, give the Kurviger website a go. It might be helpful.
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 01:10 AM   #38
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Old thread bump... has anyone got any long term experience of Garmin Satnavs? Is the Zumo 660 still decent or have things got a lot better in the last couple of years?

…...
I had/have a Zumo 550 for many years, since before lifetime map updates. Because the updates were expensive I never bothered, and out of date maps, no more support, and the screen getting a bit temperamental all prompted me to get a Zumo 595 last year. It's a huge improvement over the 550. The 660 is a pretty old device now, and the newer generation (396 etc) would be a better bet IMO.

A couple of friends have the 660, one is reasonably happy with it, the other would happily set fire to his (odd routes seem to plague his version).

The 595 has a bit of an issue with a stupid tiny battery connector which can have poor contact which means limited charging (whatever possessed the engineer at Garmin who specified that? Total idiot) but you can tweak the contacts to make it pretty reliable, youtube vids available. Mine did play up but it now seems fixed.
Old 04-03-19, 07:53 AM   #39
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers for all really helpful replies. I think I'll put up with the app and doing a few u-turns for the time being until I can save a bit more and get a more recent Garmin. I've used one for cycling for a while and it's been ok. Maps being not quite as good as TomTom isn't too much of a problem for me as it's voice commands I'm after, with occaisional glance at a screen when I need to double check / miss the voice command.

The 660 is still fetching about £200, which is 2/3rds of the cost of a more modern one new (discounted).

Great replies. Thanks for all the help. I'll look into the mapping / planning links and suggestions too. As always, a wealth of advice from the org. Cheers.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 09:17 AM   #40
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have used Garmin in cars for many years and learned early on that the voice commands can very occasionally give a wrong turn direction and in case of a conflict to rely on what the screen is showing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote