SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-15, 08:14 PM   #21
Fordward

Default Re: K4 Down after 11 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Al View Post
So after this long rambling post...... should it be a new SV or Pushbike for me?!

New motorbike. 11 years on London commute without a scratch is an amazing record. The same thing could have happened on a push bike. Or in a car albeit you wouldn't have been injured the same. Or you could get cancer, or you could get killed just walking down the pavement one day.

Critically you've got a few broken ribs and a lung that will heal in a few weeks, you're not dead. In six weeks you'll be right as rain and ready for the next 11 years.

That's what riding carefully does for you, in the main it's the high speed idiots that end up killing themselves and driving up all the statistics. Riders like you are much more likely to get injured in the much rarer accidents than killed, because you just don't put yourselves in those fatal high impact situations in the first place.
Old 04-07-15, 10:28 AM   #22
Big Bad Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
New motorbike. 11 years on London commute without a scratch is an amazing record. The same thing could have happened on a push bike. Or in a car albeit you wouldn't have been injured the same. Or you could get cancer, or you could get killed just walking down the pavement one day.

Critically you've got a few broken ribs and a lung that will heal in a few weeks, you're not dead. In six weeks you'll be right as rain and ready for the next 11 years.

That's what riding carefully does for you, in the main it's the high speed idiots that end up killing themselves and driving up all the statistics. Riders like you are much more likely to get injured in the much rarer accidents than killed, because you just don't put yourselves in those fatal high impact situations in the first place.
Thanks for the encouraging words. Yep, I will will be getting a new bike. Looking at the Gladius / SVF650. Same power, similar size & weight plus I get to sit upright a little bit - I never did get round to putting bar risers on my SVS. I think that would suit me perfectly. I paid £4200 OTR for my SVS in 2003 and had one breakdown with a flat battery (sloppy install of heated grips - subsequently wired in to the ignition) and just a year ago, one of the carbon brushes on the starter had worn and decided to give up during a fuel stop on the morning commute). So the bike has been incredible value for money and I was quite surprised to see how used prices are holding up although I guess they will fall a little come autumn. I have been trying to use my electric assisted pushbike (prior to last weeks spill) and I have not yet managed to get a full week out it without an issue. Punctures, broken chain, broken sprocket tooth. So the SV has been an amazing bike. But I don't need to tell you...... I just need to check that it ticks all the boxes, then when I am allowed by SWMBO I will get myself down to Daytona MC and get a test ride sorted. Thanks again for the positive words, everything you and others have said is spot on.... Once you step outside your front door, and even before you do, anything can happen anytime. Agree about riding style I think it makes a difference for sure. cheers take care.
Old 04-07-15, 10:52 AM   #23
GeoffB

You haven't mentioned it, but are you going for compensation for your injuries? Talk to your insurers.

Extremely standard Black 1999 SV650S and a Royal Enfield Bullet 350
GeoffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-15, 05:57 PM   #24
Gmatt

Default K4 Down after 11 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Al View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words. Yep, I will will be getting a new bike. Looking at the Gladius / SVF650. Same power, similar size & weight plus I get to sit upright a little bit - I never did get round to putting bar risers on my SVS. I think that would suit me perfectly. I paid £4200 OTR for my SVS in 2003 and had one breakdown with a flat battery (sloppy install of heated grips - subsequently wired in to the ignition) and just a year ago, one of the carbon brushes on the starter had worn and decided to give up during a fuel stop on the morning commute). So the bike has been incredible value for money and I was quite surprised to see how used prices are holding up although I guess they will fall a little come autumn. I have been trying to use my electric assisted pushbike (prior to last weeks spill) and I have not yet managed to get a full week out it without an issue. Punctures, broken chain, broken sprocket tooth. So the SV has been an amazing bike. But I don't need to tell you...... I just need to check that it ticks all the boxes, then when I am allowed by SWMBO I will get myself down to Daytona MC and get a test ride sorted. Thanks again for the positive words, everything you and others have said is spot on.... Once you step outside your front door, and even before you do, anything can happen anytime. Agree about riding style I think it makes a difference for sure. cheers take care.

I borrowed a friends Gladius after high siding my road bike it was a cracking little bike very agile through traffic and so so easy to ride! I would still have an old sv for faster rising as that's where the Gladius felt unsettled but tbh I am comparing a naked bike to a fully faired sv650s so it's probably having all the plastic to hide behind that makes it feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-15, 08:27 PM   #25
Heorot

If you have suffered an accident, such as a road traffic accident as the result of the negligence or legal fault of another in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland resulting in fractured, cracked or broken ribs – you will be entitled to make a UK broken rib claim for compensation.

The least serious fracture of ribs which cause soreness and pain over a few weeks only give rise to a calculation of your broken rib claim settlement of: £1,000 -£3,000.

So long as your injuries are worth over £1,000 – you will be entitled to claim in addition to your compensation the legal costs of employing a solicitor to pursue your broken rib claim.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-15, 12:14 PM   #26
Big Bad Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
You haven't mentioned it, but are you going for compensation for your injuries? Talk to your insurers.
Geoff, apparently yes. It seems to be pretty standard. Hastings direct were right on it and referred me to a partner company who seem took me through the process. However as we have some legal cover through my wifes union membership, we are obliged to use that in the first instance. To be honest I hadn't though of personal injury first up. I was advised though that off the back of the PI claim comes the other uninsured loses, helmet, boots and leathers (or cordura suit in my case). I didn't hit my head and I didn't roll / slide along the road at all, fortunately so as long as I can pay for a new lid - I'm happy. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I'll update when I know.
cheers.
Old 06-07-15, 12:15 PM   #27
Big Bad Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
If you have suffered an accident, such as a road traffic accident as the result of the negligence or legal fault of another in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland resulting in fractured, cracked or broken ribs – you will be entitled to make a UK broken rib claim for compensation.

The least serious fracture of ribs which cause soreness and pain over a few weeks only give rise to a calculation of your broken rib claim settlement of: £1,000 -£3,000.

So long as your injuries are worth over £1,000 – you will be entitled to claim in addition to your compensation the legal costs of employing a solicitor to pursue your broken rib claim.
That certainly help towards funding a new bike! thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-15, 12:23 PM   #28
Big Bad Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmatt View Post
I borrowed a friends Gladius after high siding my road bike it was a cracking little bike very agile through traffic and so so easy to ride! I would still have an old sv for faster rising as that's where the Gladius felt unsettled but tbh I am comparing a naked bike to a fully faired sv650s so it's probably having all the plastic to hide behind that makes it feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - I do tend to buy with my head and it would seem to be perfect for my commute. I will miss the screen and fairing on my SVs but I think it will be a good change. The Gladys is so cheap for me to insure even with no NCB which I will lose temporarily, it will be sub £200, fully comp.... ( paid £80-00 for the SVS!)
Old 07-07-15, 05:54 PM   #29
Toooldtodie

Mate!
Got swiped on a roundabout and spent a year wondering if I'd opened the throttle and got my in front of him... It wasn't your fault.
The payout on the bike is fair. If they let you buy it back (got mine back for £380 and spent £200 getting it repaired) and it's not too bad take it. You know the history of the bike.
Get riding again, my leg was so bad I could only ride the bike and couldn't drive to work, perfect excuse.
Your injury is worth a couple of grand. Think of it this way. I'll give you two grand, but I'll hit you in the chest with a lump hammer. You'd say "No way". You deserve that money. You would not have wanted the pain and disruption to your life for that sum of cash.
I totally sympathise with you mate. Hope you feel better soon. We all genuinely know what you're going through, but keep the faith! They may all be out to kill us, but it's our passion.
All the very best for a speedy recovery.
Old 07-07-15, 09:12 PM   #30
Big Bad Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtodie View Post
Mate!
Got swiped on a roundabout and spent a year wondering if I'd opened the throttle and got my in front of him... It wasn't your fault.
The payout on the bike is fair. If they let you buy it back (got mine back for £380 and spent £200 getting it repaired) and it's not too bad take it. You know the history of the bike.
Get riding again, my leg was so bad I could only ride the bike and couldn't drive to work, perfect excuse.
Your injury is worth a couple of grand. Think of it this way. I'll give you two grand, but I'll hit you in the chest with a lump hammer. You'd say "No way". You deserve that money. You would not have wanted the pain and disruption to your life for that sum of cash.
I totally sympathise with you mate. Hope you feel better soon. We all genuinely know what you're going through, but keep the faith! They may all be out to kill us, but it's our passion.
All the very best for a speedy recovery.
Hope your legs ok now - I was glad she missed mine. Well, I am letting Suzy go tomorrow. I did think about buying back repairing etc, but she needed quite a bit doing. I also just don't know if the frame is damaged at all and without professional kit, not sure how I could tell. I've gotten over the idea now and I'm thinking the SFV650 is the one for me for now. Got to be sensible about it unfortunately! Thanks for the comments - I honestly can't imagine giving it up.