SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-11-09, 11:17 PM   #1
ManxMatt34

Default Medical question?

Ok im struggling to keep any food down or in my system for any period, i've got a bad chest and chesty cough.

Been given a course of antibiotics this afternoon when i returned from uk. Really dazed and feeling very sick even when im not eating.

Should i be eating alongside my antibiotics even if i have to force it? The antibiotics are for my chest not the struggling of keeping food down.

Could the antibiotics also be making me feel sick without eating?
Old 16-11-09, 11:18 PM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: Medical question?

Sounds like you may have got a little something nasty given to you from davepreston...
Old 16-11-09, 11:21 PM   #3
ManxMatt34

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
Sounds like you may have got a little something nasty given to you from davepreston...

Ahaha, was alright actually right up until i headed to his on thursday.... Got abit of a cough... then next night was up at Lancaster Uni went out in a t-shirt ahem!

By time i returned to Dave's on saturday i was in a right state! Could hardly breath. Spent the next 2 days in bed at his pretty much and couldn't keep anything down.

Really buggered off about it though because he was on route back too mine... now he's not and i'm feeling absoultuly terrible still!

Any ideas with antibiotics and eating though?
Old 16-11-09, 11:24 PM   #4
Kilted Ginger

iirc most antibiotics work best on a full stomah or just after food so yes keep eating, soup and bread if nothing else.
there are plenty of medical bids on here who will no doubt be along shortly to correct me.

other than that man up and stop moaning
Old 16-11-09, 11:27 PM   #5
Amanda

Do you have a fever with this??

"Feed a cold, starve a fever".

If you are struggling to keep anything down then its best not to eat, give your system time to recover from whatever it is that has caused it. Keep your fluids up as much as you can, which will also be tricky if your vomiting. Try to sip it rather than drink.
Old 16-11-09, 11:28 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

One of the side effects of antibiotics is vomiting
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-09, 11:28 PM   #7
missyburd

Try eating swill
Old 16-11-09, 11:29 PM   #8
ManxMatt34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger View Post
iirc most antibiotics work best on a full stomah or just after food so yes keep eating, soup and bread if nothing else.
there are plenty of medical bids on here who will no doubt be along shortly to correct me.

other than that man up and stop moaning

Hahaha, cheers for that, the last part makes you sound like DP though, in all seriousness i've not eaten and kept the food down since thursday evening, followed by heavy drinking that evening. Then no more food since thats stayed down.

I tried ermmm chicken cream soup or something from heinz... wonder if i should go more basic and ditch the "cream" part in my soup might not be doing me any good.
Old 16-11-09, 11:39 PM   #9
ManxMatt34

I'll tell you what full run down might be easier to save confusion im poor at explaining things so hold on....

- Thursday evening ate

- Later on thursday went on the P**s

- Friday didn't feel like eating, was abit coughy etc... went on p**s.

- Saturday woke up feeling like i am now chest and coughing wise. Didn't eat felt abit sick.

- Saturday night about 10pm first time i'd ate since thursday i ate a small ammount of hot pot. Threw back up within 2 hours.

- Sunday about 4am tried drinking some blackcurrent juice instantly threw up.

- Slept most of sunday without eating again.

- Sunday 11pm ate 2 slices of bread and jam as i HAD to drive and was practically passed out with the lack of food. (stayed down).

- Felt terrible at about 4am on the boat so my mate bought some fruit like melon and grapes which i ate kept down no problem.

- Got back home about 7am, slept as soon as i got through the door till 2pm without eating.

- Picked up antibiotics at about 5pm, had first one then instantly ate 3 slices of bread and half a tin of soup.... instantly on toilet (don't need to describe that part).

Thats where i'm upto really, so had big periods where i've eaten bugger all.
One or two days may be slightly mixed up as i remember eating more than 1 evening meal at daves so i'm abit confused as to how i managed that :S.
But i am rather dazed at the moment.

Hope that clears it up abit more.
Old 17-11-09, 12:47 AM   #10
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Matt...

Hundreds of college students will die this year from alcohol poisoning - A tragic statistic of completely preventable deaths. These hundreds will leave behind many thousands more, roommates, friends, boy/girlfriends, people who were there with the victim but who didn’t know the danger sings of alcohol poisoning, and didn’t follow the steps that could have saved a life.

Take 5 minutes to learn the facts about alcohol poisoning, and know what to do when someone you care about enters into a dangerous situation.

Why is alcohol dangerous?
Alcohol (ethanol) is a toxic substance – essentially it is poison. If you consume a small quantity of ethanol, you will feel some pleasant sensations. If you consume alcohol in excess you will lose increasing control over you body and mind (get drunk) and if you continue to drink into extreme intoxication, you risk death. You can poison yourself to death, and it may take less alcohol than you think.

How does alcohol kill?
Alcohol is most well known for the dangers associated with longer term consumption and alcoholism, but it is also quite dangerous when taken acutely. Alcohol can kill a person in a single drinking session in 2 ways.

1.Alcohol is a depressant. This means it slows down the activity of the brain. It can slow down the activity in parts of the brain responsible for controlling things like breathing and the gag reflex, and if you drink enough, it can slow or even stop these vital functions. Drink enough and you can simply stop breathing.
2.Alcohol is an irritant to the stomach, and when you drink excessive amounts of alcohol, the stomach reacts as it would in the presence of any poison, and tries to expel the stomach contents – and you vomit. It's a safety mechanism. But since alcohol can also impair the gag reflex, people who pass out drunk and start throwing up are at great risk to choke on their own vomit, and many alcohol overdose deaths are from asphyxiation on vomit while passed out drunk.
Combining alcohol with other drugs or medications greatly increases the risks.

How much alcohol is too much?
Most people can metabolize about 1 drink per hour. Drinking at a rate greater than 1 per hour will result in increasing intoxication. There are a number of variables that influence the amount of alcohol a person can consume, and factors such as experience, body weight, stomach contents and fatigue will all influence the effects of alcohol on the body.

In some cases, as little as 6 drinks in an hour for a smaller person have proven lethal.

Many alcohol poisoning deaths occur after participation in drinking games or dares – scenarios where a person might drink far more alcohol far more quickly than they normally would. These games are especially dangerous due to the lag time of alcohol absorption into the blood stream. It takes a while to fully absorb all of the alcohol you drink (30-90 minutes for full absorption) so you might continue to quickly drink shooters, not knowing how dangerously intoxicated you were going to get.

Drinking games are very dangerous.

Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
The following signs indicate alcohol poisoning. If you see any of these symptoms, call an ambulance. Don't worry about being wrong, there may not be any second chances if you’re wrong and don't call.

•The person has passed out and you can't wake them up
•Seizures
•Very slow breathing or irregular breathing (less than 8 breaths per minute)
•Very cold skin, blue lips, clammy skin or other signs of hypothermia
•Vomiting
•Pale skin
*Source NIAA

Don't let them sleep it off….
Very few college students drink themselves to death in isolation. Most that die do so in a group, and most are "put to bed" by friends who think that they just need to sleep it off.

Although only time will sober the person up, unsupervised sleep can be deadly, as the person may choke on vomit, may simply start breathing, may go into a hypoglycemic seizures or may vomit so much as to develop dehydration linked brain damage.

Leaving them alone is dangerous.