SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-14, 04:24 PM   #31
diesel dog

Default Re: SV buying advice?

Thanks again for the heads up!

I found a VFR nearby that I can go see tomorrow to see how I get on with it. Not too sure about the one I posted the eBay link too as I'm always a bit wary about people selling motors on only after a month, even if the excuse may seem genuine.
Old 21-08-14, 05:31 PM   #32
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

my zx-9r has a sticky ignition barrel, different kind of wiggle to the one required for the gsx-r 750 I had (also sticky barrel)... the fazer 1000 had an intermittent sticky barrel mainly down to moisture in the air it seemed..

good luck with the hunt for a bike

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-14, 06:37 AM   #33
diesel dog

Now slightly going off the radar.

Going to look at a 58 plate ER6F done 15k miles. Owner wants £2300 for it. Standard bike with supposed full history, 4 owners in kwaki green!
Old 23-08-14, 05:00 PM   #34
aesmith

Interesting idea, the VFR. That's got me thinking, because I'd always assumed they'd be a lot more expensive than an SV. It's a bigger bike of course, a lot heavier (unless you go back to before the single-sided swinging arm), presumably tyres fuel and insurance will all be more expensive. Nice bikes though and I probably didn't check them out properly when I was last looking.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-14, 02:56 PM   #35
Bobbydigital36

I think you're best off with an SV650 if you're getting back in to the swing of things, for me it's the best value motorcycle around and if you're worried about paying for fork seals etc just pay a bit more and find one on less mileage. The VFR750s are from 86-97, unless there's a recent service history, they'll need fork seals, shocks, brakes rebuilt, that's just from age and there's a lot more parts out there for the SV650 second hand if you ever damage it. When it comes to bikes I think sticking to a common model is best, I've had more unique machines and it was just a pain to get the smallest parts for them.
Old 24-08-14, 11:24 PM   #36
Mega Poster

Haha, VFR750 parts hard to come by? Hardly. They were Honda's flash ship model, so much more bike than the sv could ever hope to be! Be hard pressed to find a vfr actually needing all those items either, they're usually very well looked after.
Old 25-08-14, 10:57 AM   #37
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: SV buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Haha, VFR750 parts hard to come by? Hardly. They were Honda's flash ship model, so much more bike than the sv could ever hope to be! Be hard pressed to find a vfr actually needing all those items either, they're usually very well looked after.
Plenty of parts on eBay. Some are interchangeable between models. The VFR is a different beast to the SV. A lot heavier and not so flickable in the bends due to the extra mass. Don't get me wrong, it handles really well but you can't beat physics. On the other hand I can ride the VFR for hours and get off as fresh as a daisy. You can bimble around below 7k rpm (below the VTEC ) and it's a kitten, above 7k it really takes off and the howl from the engine is a joy. Those brought up on 2 strokes will know what I mean.

I miss the SV, but love the VFR.

sent via Pony Express
Old 25-08-14, 04:23 PM   #38
Bobbydigital36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post

I didn't say it would be difficult, only easier with the SV.
Old 25-08-14, 05:18 PM   #39
Mega Poster

Can't say there's any difference in the two tbh. I've had both and never been short of supplies. The only hard bits to come by on the RC36 model is decent second hand fairing.
Old 25-08-14, 05:22 PM   #40
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Plenty of parts on eBay. Some are interchangeable between models. The VFR is a different beast to the SV. A lot heavier and not so flickable in the bends due to the extra mass. Don't get me wrong, it handles really well but you can't beat physics. On the other hand I can ride the VFR for hours and get off as fresh as a daisy. You can bimble around below 7k rpm (below the VTEC ) and it's a kitten, above 7k it really takes off and the howl from the engine is a joy. Those brought up on 2 strokes will know what I mean.

I miss the SV, but love the VFR.

sent via Pony Express
Having had the SV and the VFR - I can honestly say the VFR is the far superior in the corners, even in it's soggy old suspension guise. It's so stupendously neutral and well balanced, the smoothness of the engine helps a tonne as well in comparison to the on/off nature of a twin. The choice is ultimately personal, but standing back and taking a logical stance on it - the VFR wins every time
  • Uber reliable gear driven cams
  • Ridonkulous build quality all round
  • cheap as chips on insurance, like the SV
  • looks a shed load better imo
  • future classic, will go up in value over the next 5 years...mark my words!
  • can handle touring with utter ease and goes round town like a dream