SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-17, 08:55 AM   #11
DuncanC

Default Re: Strange misfire

Thanks, looks like it just an old bike and a fat pilot then. back to fault finding.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 01:05 PM   #12
Dave-the-rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanC View Post
Right well I've tested the coil primary and secondary and loo to be Ok at 4.7 ohms on the primary and 28Kohms on the secondary. I'll have a play about with the plugs and caps and bits during the week.
As an aside whilst searching for R1ffR4ffs plug cap numbers (thanks for posting the link) I came across an old post about restricted SVs. My bike gets up near a ton easily but then runs out of puff. I'm not really bothered about this as with no fairing hanging at those speeds is not fun. I also put it down to an old bike and a fat pilot. However reading that thread made me think "33hp struggles to break a ton" Humm I wonder. So assuming the restriction is in the ignition module does any body know the part number for a normal module? My part number is J54 20F0 BB7708 OB29.
Aye coils can be unpredictable. I've seen a coil measuring good on a meter but not working right and measuring way off but seemingly working fine.

In your situation I'd check the coil is getting power and if it is and all connections are good I'd look for a replacement good one.
Old 30-04-17, 02:58 PM   #13
DuncanC

Well I think I've cracked it. Checked the plug cap and it had 12K ohm resistance so that got replaced. Whilst I had the plug cap off I thought I'd check the HT lead as well. It tested at 1 ohm which seamed a bit much for 6" of wire. I checked my 1m length of HT lead and it tested at 0.1 ohm so I did the HT lead whilst I was at it. Quick test ride and it looks to be sorted. It even felt crisper from idle but I don't know how much of that was in my head. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-17, 06:09 PM   #14
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Looks like you got it fixed.More often than not ignition faults aren't the failure of just one component but a cumulative affect of parts wearing over time.
Old 19-08-23, 03:29 PM   #15
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo View Post
Restriction was carb washers on the Curvys, not the ignition module.
Ancient thread I know but in case someone else comes to this thread... Not exclusively it wasn't, no.

***Aftermarket*** restriction was via carb washers, the Suzuki restriction was by a set of different CV throttle slides that had a great big hole in them and so restricted how far they would open.

I bought a set of carbs that had them fitted without realising.

Fitted the carbs to my 700cc SV and it made 35hp on the dyno!
Stuck the old ones back on and up to 80hp!