SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-06-18, 07:36 AM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Surface dressing

LPH posted a very useful link in the Ecosse section with regard to surface dressing.

Here's a link to the full document.
This bit below is the interesting piece. The local council are certainly not following this section of the code of practice on some of the roads around here.

Quote:
No road which has been surface dressed, should be reopened to traffic travelling at normal speeds limited only by national or local speed limits until it has been swept. Loose chipping signs (7009) with 20 mph advisory sub-plates (see recommendation in para 14 for additional sub-plate) should remain in place and be maintained until such time as all surplus chippings have been removed from the surface. The period of time during which loose chipping signs will need to remain in position will depend largely on the type of dressing and the volume of traffic. Regular inspections by installer’s representative should be carried and sweeps organised as necessary on the basis of the following guidelines:
1st Sweep within 24 hours of installation 2nd Sweep within 3 days of installation 3rd Sweep within 10 days of installation

The aftercare signage should be maintained until a “final” inspection had been carried out either jointly by the installer / client or by a nominated competent person. The final inspection should be carried out within 30 days of installation. A satisfactory final inspection is the point at which the Highway/Road Authority resumes responsibility for the site.

Last edited by Luckypants; 25-06-18 at 03:16 PM. Reason: corrected link that was getting 404 page not found
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-18, 11:00 AM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Surface dressing

I hope it's not too bad around your way Gary - with a bit of luck I'll be heading up to Shrewsbury on Friday and as I'll have the whole day to do it I'll be going up the spine(ish) of Wales to around Oswestry before turning right.
Old 25-06-18, 11:04 AM   #3
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Oh, and please...if you're going to keep adding more and more layers to the road surface at least lift the manhole covers so they're flush, we have enough trouble with natural potholes without needing any manmade varieties.
Very much this...

Some manhole covers hereabouts are at last 3" below the reinstated road surfaces!
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-18, 12:04 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I hope it's not too bad around your way Gary - with a bit of luck I'll be heading up to Shrewsbury on Friday and as I'll have the whole day to do it I'll be going up the spine(ish) of Wales to around Oswestry before turning right.
Keep your wits about you Trev, there's been loads of surface dressing going on here. Some of it is long sections of road, and some just short patches. There's a couple of long sections on the A495 around Llansantffraid and Meifod which were swept promptly and then surface bonded, but there are lots of bits that haven't received that er... level of attention!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-18, 04:42 PM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Haven't really thought too much about routes yet - I'll look atthat tomorrow and let you know in case you think I need to avoid any stretches.
Old 28-06-18, 10:14 AM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Have decided on a circular route. Tomorrow will be a LOOOOONG stretch down the A40 from home as far as Crickhowell, A479 then A470 to Builth Wells, then A483 all the way up past Welshpool before I turn right to come in just above Shrewsbury and father-in-law's.

Way back will follow the A49 towards Leominster before peeling off towards the Malverns, Cotswolds, Oxford and home.

It's a bit of a tribute route - I last did it about ten years ago on my Curvy. That was a fun trip but I did not stop often enough and got terrible tendonitis from all the gear changes. Will take the whole day on the way up tomorrow, I'll go a bit slower and stop off to find the odd Geocache as I do so. If you see me give me a wave