SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-05, 03:04 AM   #1
Mr. Ju

Default Steering is off slightly

I am done repairing the bike and back on the road after 7 long days.

I just went for a quick ride to check if everything was allright and right away I notice my steering was off by about 2 degrees to the right.

I fell on the right side so I taught I might have moved the right clip on but after taking some measurement, the angle of both clip-on is ok.

It doesn't make the bike unrideable at all...but I can't help to notice and it bugs the crap out of me.

Any ideas what I should check next.

Thanks in advance

Ju
Old 19-04-05, 06:50 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

If the forks have been disturbed is it possible that the forks are slightly twisted in the yokes, to rectify this, loosen the front spindle, the spindle clamp/s, the lower yoke bolts, and the steering head nut, don't loosen the top yoke clamps or it'll fall on the floor. Then bounce the front end up and down as hard as you can, if the yokes are a little off the action of the forks compressing and extending will true them up, when you're satisfied that it's all lined up right, try sitting next to the forks and sighting across from one to the other, they should be completely parallel, tighten from the bottom up, carefully so as not to disturb the alignment, so the order should be; spindle, clamps, lower yoke pinch bolts and finally steering top nut. Finally loosen the handle bar clamps and the 10mm headed 'bar positioning bolts under the top yoke - don't remove them - make sure the bars are pushed right the way forwards, or backwards, they are quite a loose fit in the holes on the bar holder, so that the bars are aligned properly, when you're happy that they are aligned tighten it all up.
If it will line up when the various bits are loose, but then twists when all are tightened, it is likely something is bent.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-05, 02:19 PM   #3
Mr. Ju

Thanks a lot Sid Squid.

Sounds like a week-end project to me.