SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-11-10, 05:43 PM   #1
Jordy

Default Rear caliper retaining pins siezed.

I got on to fitting my braided rear brake line and rear pads today, however I didn't get very far lol.
The braided line is on no problem, but as I was removing mud guard to tighten the banjo bolt up, the bolt snapped due to corrosion. So there's half a job done and a new job gained lol. It hasn't snapped off flush so hopefully I can get molegrips on it and get it out.

Also, didn't manage the pads becasue the retaining pins are sized, I'm guessing this is a common problem? What is the best way to get them out?
The pads still have a little bit left but they were squeeling and looking at them, they have worn unevenly, I'll service the whole caliper I think (new seals, pistons, retaining pins ect). Will be nice to get it all done anyway.

Must say I'm very impressed with the line i went for a brand called Venhill, very good quality and a perfect fit, also came with stainless fittings and lots of copper washers. £23 delivered.
Old 07-11-10, 06:06 PM   #2
a.oneill45

Default Re: Rear caliper retaining pins siezed.

I would say to leave the bolt soaking in WD40 or equivalent and then heat it up in the morning, WD will penetrate and the heat will loosen it all.

Pins, I would soak again and gently try to turn them using pliers, just be careful not to mark the surface, they will come out eventually!
Old 07-11-10, 06:23 PM   #3
husky03
Mega Poster

wouldn't bother fannying about with heat-split the caliper and get the pins into a vice then twist/turn till they come out or snap, then drill through the other side so in future you can get a punch in to knock them out-use plenty of copper grease when rebuilding and use new pins.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 06:45 PM   #4
Jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.oneill45 View Post
I would say to leave the bolt soaking in WD40 or equivalent and then heat it up in the morning, WD will penetrate and the heat will loosen it all.

Pins, I would soak again and gently try to turn them using pliers, just be careful not to mark the surface, they will come out eventually!
Thanks, Yeah I have soaked the snapped off bolt in WD40, didn't want to soak the caliper pins in WD40 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
wouldn't bother fannying about with heat-split the caliper and get the pins into a vice then twist/turn till they come out or snap, then drill through the other side so in future you can get a punch in to knock them out-use plenty of copper grease when rebuilding and use new pins.
Thanks, I'll do this at work tomorrow, to get the pins out won't be drilling anything though lol don't trust myself! Yeah will do mate, I have bought some copper grease to use.
Old 07-11-10, 06:52 PM   #5
husky03
Mega Poster

once you get the pins out just drill straight through-its full proof and will save you the hassel of pins sticking in the future-you just need to plug the hole with a blob of grease when the calipers back together.
Old 07-11-10, 06:54 PM   #6
Jordy

I'm on wemoto.com looking at the retaining pins.

The retaining pin alone is more than the retaining pin with the R clip, am I missing something? :S

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/S...ning_Pin_Rear/

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/S...-_with_R_Clip/

Also is it worth buying a pot of this?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-10, 06:56 PM   #7
husky03
Mega Poster

get the ones with the r clip-their good quality , i've used these myself.
Old 07-11-10, 07:01 PM   #8
Jordy

Okay, thanks again for your help/advice mate.
Old 08-11-10, 03:14 PM   #9
Jordy

Went to split the the caliper today got one of the allen bolts out, piece of cake... Went to undo the other and it was really tight and ended up rounding it off. Good news is I got the pins out atleast.
Old 08-11-10, 03:17 PM   #10
husky03
Mega Poster

you should invest in a newly serviced rear caliper mate