SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-01-13, 07:38 PM   #1
Amadeus

Default Sugar

As I'm now officially fat, I've cut down on what I eat, as well as try to do a bit more exercise, tho with the current weather conditions, that's not easy.
As I'm eating less energy-producing food, I'm often cold (hands, feet, head) despite wearing a fleece, hoodie etc.
I'm partial to the odd wine gum. As there is basically nothing but sugar and gelatin in them, I assume my body would get a quick sugar rush and within a short period of time my body would be back to normal. If I ate a whole packet in half an hour (a distinct possibility), I would not burn it all quickly and thus put on weight. Obviously providing a sugar rush would mean that my body would not eat into the excess weight if put on in the way of fat.

Is this correct? Or is it more complicated than that?
Old 18-01-13, 07:42 PM   #2
dawn07

Default Re: Sugar

Perhaps a wee visit to your practice nurse for a blood test to include checking glucose, thyroid function test, and ferritin X
Old 18-01-13, 07:50 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn07 View Post
Perhaps a wee visit to your practice nurse for a blood test to include checking glucose, thyroid function test, and ferritin X
don't.. better being oblivious

i went for a checkup and i'm now diabetic.. i still don't believe them and they are just saying it to stick needles in me as they know i faint. sugar rush wish
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 08:02 PM   #4
Fallout
Mega Poster

You should probably speak to a nutrition expert to help you eat the right foods. Eating sugar doesn't really solve anything. If you are 'crashing' you're not eating the right foods. It's possible your body is just adjusting to a diet which doesn't involve lots of quick energy (sugar) and will sort itself out when it gets used to proper food. Either way, getting some advice from an expert would be a good idea.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 08:18 PM   #5
Amadeus

I assumed that asking for tests etc would make the doc believe I'm a hypochondriac (I fall into the "it's only a flesh wound" category). Don't mind paying for such tests tbh. Having said that I think my appetite has appeared due to some long-term medication that I'm on and exercise is probably not a bad idea anyway. As I've been to the docs about 5 times in the last 4-5 months due to my long term medication, I feel I'm using up all my allotted time with them.
As my family have a history of diabetes and I sometimes suddenly feel very weak and must eat immediately, there is a possibility that I am diabetic, but I can't be arsed to deal with it (a la Bibio).
Having said all that, thanks for the useful suggestions, I'll certainly consult an expert, but I'm still interested in how the body does process said wine gums. And if I ate a whole packet, is there a possibility that I'd be unsafe to drive the next day?
Old 18-01-13, 08:39 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If you are diabetic you need to deal with it.Its like not changing the oil in your bike.It will carry on fine for a while but then things start to wear out and drop off prematurely.Like your legs.
Old 18-01-13, 08:54 PM   #7
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
If you are diabetic you need to deal with it.Its like not changing the oil in your bike.It will carry on fine for a while but then things start to wear out and drop off prematurely.Like your legs.
I already have more than the average number of legs (the average being slightly under 2), so I could afford to lose a bit...

Last edited by Amadeus; 18-01-13 at 09:59 PM.
Old 18-01-13, 09:58 PM   #8
ralph

you put on weight if more goes in than goes out really, but how much beer do you drink as it is high in cals but really easy to consume large quantities, ditch the gelatine it only hooves and other rubbish, and walk about more, its working for me
Old 18-01-13, 11:36 PM   #9
Amadeus

I actually don't drink, so it's not the beer.
I would say that I intake <2000 calories a day but I'm not losing much weight. Walk about 1.5m each lunchtime at what most people consider a very brisk pace. That's without wine gums, creme eggs etc.
Old 18-01-13, 11:45 PM   #10
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
+1. I'm far from an expert on diabetes but I do know if you have it and you ignore it you're storing up a lot of serious problems. Forget about this concept of using up your chips with the docs. If you're unwell, they're there to help. If your doc is a nob (as many are), or just rubbish (as many are) change your GP.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote