SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-20, 04:17 PM   #1
Thaleshwar

Question Coolant TopUp SV650S K6

Hi, I noticed coolant level was like 5 - 10mm below the L mark in coolant reservoir, I am planning to replace coolant in full, but likely I may not able to gain proper access as my bike (SV650S K6) is fully faired, and fitted with crash bungs which makes more difficult to remove side fairing also there is plastic clip in front bottom of fairings with pins joining left and right side fairings and have no idea how to push out the plastic pins / rivets and remove the clip without breaking

Well so I cannot open radiator cap and have no idea how to reach to coolant reservoir, may be reservoir is accessible once I lift the fuel tank, in that if I can reach to reservoir, can coolant be topped up from it or coolant needs to filled in from radiator’s mouth by removing the radiator cap? Kindly advise- Thank you.
Thaleshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 04:27 PM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Coolant TopUp SV650S K6

That's not a reservoir, it's an expansion tank.

The only way to check radiator level is to open the radiator cap
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 07:03 PM   #3
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
That's not a reservoir, it's an expansion tank.

The only way to check radiator level is to open the radiator cap
Oh, Thanks but from some threads in forum, YouTube and User manual I received with my motorcycle mentioned as Coolant Reservoir, I am trying share with you a page from the manual I read on and with couple of sketches, it took several attempt but finally I manage to upload in PDF here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coolant (2).pdf (102.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Thaleshwar; 22-01-20 at 07:05 PM.
Old 22-01-20, 07:29 PM   #4
Chris_SVS

Coolant lives in radiator - water pump circulates this through the water jacket in both cylinders - when cooling system isn't working correctly(pick a reason) and the cap spring pops - coolant vents through a small diameter pipe to the bottle you're looking at.

It only has a level so it doesn't suck air.. You will still need to open the radiator cap to check the level

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 22-01-20 at 07:34 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 07:42 PM   #5
Thaleshwar

Hi, really appreciate what you said and educating me, I will try my level best to reach radiator cap and change coolant. Thanks
Old 22-01-20, 10:37 PM   #6
glang

Just to clarify a bit if the reservoir/expansion bottle has level the radiator must be full unless you have a leak somewhere. The way the system works is that when you run the engine the coolant warms up and expands slightly. As the radiator is full the cap has to lift and discharges the excess to the bottle where you'll see the level go up. Then on cooling of the engine the rad cap has a little valve that allows coolant to be drawn back from the bottle so keeping the radiator full all the time.
To replace the coolant after draining you fill the rad and the bottle up to its mark and then check the bottle again when cold after the first run as it will have dropped a little.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 08:33 AM   #7
Fen Tiger

Something which worked for me was to drain and fill the expansion bottle via the feed tube. If you take the expansion feed tube off the radiator near the cap and tie a length of string to it you can then go to the left side of the bike and pull the tube through so that it is lower than the expansion bottle and drain the bottle into a container. the tube can then be brought back up to the radiator cap by carefully pulling on the string. Having changed the coolant in the main system, the expansion bottle can be filled by pouring new coolant down the feed pipe using a small funnel before reattaching the pipe to the radiator neck.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 06:03 PM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaleshwar View Post
Hi, really appreciate what you said and educating me, I will try my level best to reach radiator cap and change coolant. Thanks
These links will explain how the Cooling system on Motorcycles work,

https://itstillruns.com/coolant-over...-12218289.html

https://www.custompistols.com/coolin...ion-tanks.html

If ever you see steam or smell the sickly sweet smell of hot coolant you should stop using the Motorcycle or risk damaging the engine. You can only correctly check the coolant level on a cold engine with the Rad cap off and visual inspection.

HTH
Old 24-01-20, 05:11 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

there is a locking screw on the radiator cap so dont go taking a pair of water pump pliers to get the cap off coz you think its stuck.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 06:21 PM   #10
redtrummy

And I think the crosshead may be a Jap type - I had to use a pair of ordinary pliers to get it undone. Could not get a screwdriver to fit properly.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote