SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-11-05, 03:29 PM   #1
Sloth

Default What size jets? What filter? SV650 - Old

Need advice on jet size for a 2000 SV, I will be fitting a filter either K&N or BMC, it already has a Viper full exhaust system. It seems to hit a limiter in second and doesn't want to rev out in third. Do these older models have a limiter built in and can it be by-passed? Do I need to do anything else with the engine if I add a filter and re-jet it? (just had new oil, filter & plugs). Where is the best place to get K&N or BMC air filter?
Thanks in advance for advice - Rich
Old 19-11-05, 03:37 PM   #2
BURNER

Would be nice to see pics of full system, don't think I've seen one made by Viper yet.

Get the BMC filter and I'll go out on a limb suggesting 150DJ mains for a full system.

There a slight ignition retard in the lower gears, it's detailed in the main page.
TBH I did mine about 2 years ago and have sincew forgotten which wires to snip. Was it red, or blue, red or blue, tick tock tick tock....?
Old 19-11-05, 06:57 PM   #3
haggis

The wires on pre- '03 can be disconnected at the cdi connector (which I did) or the connector under the tank ( inside the rubber boot on the left frame spar). The colours are Red with Yellow tracer, Green with Blue tracer. Just make sure they are insulated well.
Old 19-11-05, 07:49 PM   #4
Stig

I would not suggest that you disconnect the limiter. It's there for a reason you know.

I put a renagade can and a K&N air filter in. The bike ran very lean. I have now got 162.5 jets main jets in. It now runs a bit on the rich side. I'm sure a little fiddle with the mixture screw would sort it, but basically I can't be bothered.

Too rich and your wasting fuel. Too lean and you will kill the engine.

I got my K&N filter from Busters. Although in the present climate I would probably wait a while before you use them.
Old 19-11-05, 08:17 PM   #5
haggis

Big Ape, it's not the rev limiter being disconnected.

It's a 2nd and 3rd gear sensor. The reason it's there is to pass EU drive-by noise regs at time of manufacture. Now, seeing as the majority of us ditch the original pipe, we don't need to pass this test ever again.

Some folk say it's there to soften the power delivery in these gears so you don't flip it, but that's pub talk.
Old 19-11-05, 08:21 PM   #6
Stig

Fair enough, I thought he meant he wanted to disconnect the rev limiter
Old 19-11-05, 09:40 PM   #7
jonboy

I've done the "tre" mod and it was a total waste of time, completely unnoticeable.

Best mods? 46 tooth rear sprocket and R6 throttle tube.

Old 19-11-05, 09:43 PM   #8
21QUEST
Mega Poster

If you have a full system you might as well go for the BMC Race RS (important : You want the open top one ie big frigging hole )

Get some dynojets 165 and 160 and maybe some 155 mains(again make sure you are getting the dynojets main not the Mikuni).

Raise the clip on the need on notch and the pilot 2.5 to 3 turns out. Personally I would stick the 160 mains in first then have it on the dyno if you can to see what it's doing lean/rich running wise.

For K+N filter PDQ is pretty good. With regards to the BMC Race RS apparently it can be difficult to get hold of.
I think straightline racing or TTS do them(Not sure) but make sure you specify which BMC filter you need.

Note that the above main jet sizes are with the BMC Race RS filter in mind.

Cheers
Ben

EDIT: Sorry CLIP on the needle should be moved down NOT moved up
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-05, 10:00 PM   #9
Sloth

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. - Rich
Old 20-11-05, 01:36 AM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

I'm just going up to 170s with the Race RS and my system... It's been lean for a while up top, but I just couldn't be bothered to change the jets again- but with the cold air it was getiting leaner and leaner. Took out the tank spacers and now it's rich everywhere else But it goesn't ride like it's full of gravel any more, on the plus side.

Big Ape, those 162.5'd be Mikunis, right? I predict that you're very rich indeed

Also, something that Bigape said but that other people might be thinking about- the mixture screw on the SV isn't a master mix as some think, it controls the idle circuit. No point tweaking it for a reach top end.

Ultimately, there's no substitute for a dyno run. if you know what you're doing you can get close, but it takes a lot of time and effort unless yoiu get lucky. My approach is to get it in the right ball park by "butt dyno" then take it for a run- or at least, it would be if I ever get it on the dyno again. But now I'm looking at going with direct induction so it might be back to square one...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote