SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 13-09-16, 06:49 PM   #71
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: The trackday thread.

Sorry, going all the way to Cadwell twice in quick succession might be pushing my luck...... Doing Brands on the 26th Sept instead.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-16, 07:09 PM   #72
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Brands and it's noise meters! Took the GSXR and SV to Brands today, put them both through noise testing and as it was a 102db static I left the baffle out of the SV, and as usual it passed giving a reading of 99db.

Did the first session on the SV, bit of a wobble round but no issues so did the next two on the GSXR. During lunch it poured down so put the wets (road legal Avons) on the Sv and went out for some fun. Got black flagged mid session for setting off the drive-by noise meters located around the circuit. No problem, took me just a moment to put the baffle in and was retested at 94db static.

Unfortunately there was then a bit of an incident which meant the track was closed for a while, and in the end, what with the weather still being a bit iffy and all that, there were only a few of us left still up for riding round when they finally reopened. Went out on the SV again, and there were only two other bikes on track, and when I came in at the end was greeted by the marshal who told me I was about to get another black flag as I'd set off the alarms again! Apparently they are set at 92bd drive by and I was recording 93.6db in the dip at the bottom of Paddock.

My SV is fitted with an M4 system mated to a Leo Vince titanium can, and with the baffle it's sold and marked as a road legal system. Given where I'm triggering it I'm only just getting onto full throttle in 4th gear which I then carry all the way up to Druids I'm wondering if the problem is actually induction roar rather than exhaust noise. I've got a K&N filter with the front of the tank raised and the snorkel removed so it's fairly open.

Food for thought, anyway won't be gong back to Brands anytime soon.... especially if it's raining!
Old 26-09-16, 07:15 PM   #73
ogden
Mega Poster

GP circuit, presumably, if the limit was 102? Best thing to do is go racing, then it's a 105dB limit everywhere!
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-16, 09:13 PM   #74
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

A few of us were at Brands on the 19th, all our SVs tested OK static (GP circuit - 101db) but then Jambo pinged the meter on the drive by and was obliged to fit a baffle.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-16, 05:10 AM   #75
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
GP circuit, presumably, if the limit was 102? Best thing to do is go racing, then it's a 105dB limit everywhere!
Nope, Indy. My racing days are well behind me I'm afraid, I don't bounce well enough any more.
Old 28-09-16, 08:27 PM   #76
Redmist

I managed to survive the fast group at Cadwell on Monday. In between the drizzle there was sun and I made a new PB.

I was surprised to find some throttle jockeys mid corner throughout the day, I thought I'd left them in the Inters group but seems not.

Here's a video for a laugh and I just wish I could enter the gooseneck properly

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 08:23 AM   #77
Red Herring
Mega Poster

That's going OK if you ask me, especially like your pace through Hall Bends.....

I think the trick to the Gooseneck is having the confidence to stay on the throttle out of Chris curve and run it all the way out to the left side if the track before rolling off and tightening your line into the Gooseneck whilst on the brakes. The outside of the track can come up awfully quickly and you always want to leave a bit in hand in case you miss the turn in or your front end doesn't like the transition from throttle to brakes as well as you would like....!
Old 29-09-16, 12:07 PM   #78
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
That's going OK if you ask me, especially like your pace through Hall Bends.....

I think the trick to the Gooseneck is having the confidence to stay on the throttle out of Chris curve and run it all the way out to the left side if the track before rolling off and tightening your line into the Gooseneck whilst on the brakes. The outside of the track can come up awfully quickly and you always want to leave a bit in hand in case you miss the turn in or your front end doesn't like the transition from throttle to brakes as well as you would like....!
Thanks Red, I will focus on it next time out hopefully, I know you're right I need to hang it out left! Cheers.

Old 30-09-16, 02:39 PM   #79
Popy Fresco

Probably it's a something that has been talked about many times, but can't find all the answers i want

What tires do you use?

Slicks?
If so where do you buy them, I don't seem to find anywhere slicks with SV sizes
Do other sizes fit SV wheels other than the standard 120/60 & 160/60?
Very sporty road tyres?

I'm running in a set of sportsmart2 (with no warmers) and don't have much life left so as i left the bike for track use only i was thinking on going for full track tires + warmers but can't find anything other than road/track tires

What do you guys use? (and where do you buy them if you use slicks)
Popy Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-16, 08:05 PM   #80
Redmist

Ive used Pirelli Supercorsas exclusively since using the SV on track. My current set I bought new and they've been mint for two years and now gonna be buying a new set for next year. Sadly they are the expensive new. But decent scrubs can be had if u look around.