SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 20-05-08, 12:11 PM   #11
stewie

Default Re: NW Rideouts & accidents

In fairness to Baph it was me that suggested the possibility of splitting the rideout into different groups like has happened before, all I meant was that anyone who fancied a hoon could join one group and those who fancied a slower pace could join another, my primary concern was for peoples safety, weve had 4 NW,s and 4 written off bikes, I want people to enjoy there riding thats all, if Im in the minority fair enough, it was only a suggestion
Old 20-05-08, 12:19 PM   #12
Speedy Claire

I see where both you and Baph are coming from Stew but personally I don`t think the groups thing is all that relevant (my opinion only) if you look at 3 out of 4 of those accidents wouldn`t those 3 riders all have been riding in the "hoon" group? therefore what would have been the benefit of having a "slower" group of riders..... those accidents would have still happened.

If you look at Jason`s accident, we had formed into at least 2 groups of different abilities by then anyway..... Jason was in the "slower" group yet still had his accident!

I just can`t see how the group thing would work, i don`t think its gonna prevent these accidents and I truly feel that it is down to the individual to take responsibility for their own safety. Each and everyone of us knows our own riding ability and comfort zones.... If we ride outside of that comfort zone then we have to accept the risks and consequences of our actions.
Old 20-05-08, 12:23 PM   #13
Baph

Thanks for that Stewie. I'm with you though, as I reckon it's a great idea. I'm not saying it'll do anything other than split the group up, but it's an idea worth considering IMO.

For the record, I loved being TEC at NW3, as I got to see a whole string of bikes spread across the entire valley, on the few occasions we were all bunched up.

As a group, we have no idea if an individual is feeling the pressure despite everyone telling them to chill out. I know this has happened on other .Org rideouts, so I see no reason for NW to be an exception.

As for assumptions, I see it as offering more choice. If everyone turns up on the day & wants to ride as one group, regardless of pace, fine. The planning wouldn't be wasted because I know some would attend just for the extra feeling of choice.

If we were to assume someone was riding beyond their ability, then I would also suggest which group someone went in, and that is something I'm far from qualified to do.

However, I was expecting semi-rant posts to come in for this issue, hence why I took approx 4 hours to type the OP, and re-wrote it countless times before hitting post.

Last edited by Baph; 20-05-08 at 12:25 PM.
Old 20-05-08, 12:24 PM   #14
stewie

Yep, fair comment Claire, tbh I dont know if there is answer, but I was concerend enough to carry a first aid kit onthe last one am thinking of doing some form of accident training for further rideouts, btw does anyone know who might run first aid courses for these types of things ?
Old 20-05-08, 12:28 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The problem I see is the fact that rideouts are already take a fair bit of work to organise. A 2-group ride would need twice the work.

Is having a fast group not going to just make any "middlin'" riders in the quick group push it even more, because the overall pace is faster?

Personally I really enjoyed the NW3 setup, because I could push it enough to enjoy myself, overall probably slower than my usual pace when riding those roads, but there's always the option to just chill for a few minutes, don't try to brake in, don't bother the rev limiter coming out ... just ride steady, because there's all different paces in the group, and you're not going to hold anyone up chilling out a couple of minutes.
Old 20-05-08, 12:29 PM   #16
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I know its the coppers in my area IIRC. Although for NW3 you were lucky that there were 2 nurses, and a couple of qualified first aiders to help. Theres always someone that can help, but I think that anyone going on an accident first aid course is a top idea

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-08, 12:29 PM   #17
stewie

Just to further add, I spent 2 and a half years driving ambulances years ago and have firsthand experience of incidents from the mundane to the truly horrific, just dont want anyone to end up feet first into the back of ambulance thats all, cos I love you all , no I do , its true
Old 20-05-08, 12:30 PM   #18
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
btw does anyone know who might run first aid courses for these types of things ?
North Wales BikeSafe do First Bike on Scene training. Which is what I'm doing with them. It's free too.
Old 20-05-08, 12:34 PM   #19
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
North Wales BikeSafe do First Bike on Scene training. Which is what I'm doing with them. It's free too.
Oh I might join you on that if my shift patterns dictate, cheers mate
Old 20-05-08, 12:34 PM   #20
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Just to further add, I spent 2 and a half years driving ambulances years ago and have firsthand experience of incidents from the mundane to the truly horrific, just dont want anyone to end up feet first into the back of ambulance thats all, cos I love you all , no I do , its true