SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 17-11-06, 12:26 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Metzeler Sportec M1 Tyre

A couple of weeks ago I changed my tyres from the Metzeler Sportec M1's to Continental Road Attacks, so I thought I should right a little review of the Metzeler tyres.

The tyres where both grippy and responsive to feel, performing well in both dry and wet conditions. Which seems to agree with other reviews that I have read. My only real complaint is the wear time, I have seen comments that state that the tyre has harder centre compounds. Thus reducing the wear time, and keeping the softer compound on the side to increase grip. I still found they only managed 5,500 miles, which some may think is good. Is not great to me, especially after they replaced my Old set of Road Attacks that managed 8,500 mile before a nail destroyed them. Even then they had lots of wear left.
In reality I would say they felt the same as the old BT020's that I used to have fitted, with the same feel and wear.
So overall good tyre it you do a few long journey's, with nice grip for throwing the bike about. But don't bother if your a commuter.

Repeated on my Bikers View blog
Old 17-11-06, 12:34 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I too like the tyres, i have had a set on since start of august and the rear is nealy gone with a fair bit less than 5000miles. But saying that i dont give them an easy time at all. Good tyres though.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 01:13 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I like Sportec M1s but for most people they don't offer much improvement over Roadtecs, and they last half as long... I've got one on the front again, just happened to be what was cheap You need to be seriously pushing to trouble the Roadtecs, and once you're at that sort of pressure a problem's more likely to be from a loss of control than a loss of traction anyway I reckon.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote